Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the turbo make any sound when it kicks in? I can't seem to hear it but it does feel like it works. I can feel something that feels like a surge in power under hard acceleration, but no distinctive turbo whine can be heard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does the turbo make any sound when it kicks in? I can't seem to hear it but it does feel like it works. I can feel something that feels like a surge in power under hard acceleration, but no distinctive turbo whine can be heard.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
My car does make a distinctive whine - however the trap oxidizer may cut the sound out.

My car does make a distinctive whine - however the trap oxidizer may cut the sound out.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if there is some way to test it. This is my first Mercedes diesel....

I wonder if there is some way to test it. This is my first Mercedes diesel.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Well you should a big increase in power right about 2350-2500rpm. If you have driven anoth...

Well you should a big increase in power right about 2350-2500rpm. If you have driven another turbo car you know - turbo lag. Other than that I guess you could install a boost gauge in the car - that would be pretty trick - especially if you could find a spot to hide it so it looks almost stock. Maybe where the clock is - under the tach. Hmmm........

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a good place but it would be a challenge. The first thing would be to get th...

Sounds like a good place but it would be a challenge. The first thing would be to get the cluster out...sounds easy but I haven't been successful yet. I haven't ever looked for boost gauges since I've never owned a turbo before. Are they easy to come by? Also where on the turbo would I have to connect it to?

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Yes boost gauges are realitvely easy to come by. That would be a tough install. You could ...

Yes boost gauges are realitvely easy to come by. That would be a tough install. You could just make a hole somewhere in the dash, but like I said before, a more low key spot would look beter. Autometer is one of the most popular gauge companies, but personaly I think thier gauges are boring and a little crude. I personaly like VDO. You can find a nice VDO "stock" looking boost gauge - performance products would be a good place to look - you would want to look through the Performance catalog for porsche since no MB to date has come with a boost gauge. Some other companies that make boost gauges if you want to look them up: HKS, Blitz, Apex'I, and Jackson Racing.

As far as hooking it up, I think most cars are different in they're location to connect a boost gauge. I'm sure someone who knows these cars well could tell you where to tap in to get a reading.

P.S. - when looking for boost gauges, I came across this website. Absolutely the coolest boost gauge I have seen yet! Very stealth and classy!

http://www.stratmosphere.com/oct_s4_boostgauge1.htm

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I'll check it out!
I'll see what the shop manual suggests for a connection point....

Thanks! I'll check it out!
I'll see what the shop manual suggests for a connection point. I know that there's a section about how to test the turbo.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now if I could only just get the tachometer to work.......

Now if I could only just get the tachometer to work....

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Check this out - I whipped this up real quick.Here is a quick little renedering of ano...

Check this out - I whipped this up real quick.

Here is a quick little renedering of another spot where you could put the boost gauge. I am pretty sure that there is a space in between the two sets of buttons where I placed the VDO boost gauge - I have to check that out. I think it looks good there!

Extreme motorsports sells the VDO boost gauge for $45 - not bad! Here's the link:
http://www.extrememotorsports.com/g2cat/bstgauge.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AWESOME! Looks like it's right at home there.
Good Job!

AWESOME! Looks like it's right at home there.
Good Job!

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely. It won't be right away though.

Absolutely. It won't be right away though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.