Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 190e 2.6 in great condition, virtually rust free, with 200k miles. It is stock, and I have been looking for ways to noticeably increase it's performance, but haven't had much luck. No chips are available, etc. I'd really appreciate any ideas. My budget is pretty tight (~$500 or less) but i'll take any suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,488 Posts
There aren't really any "bolt on" performance upgrades for the M103 engine. Start by dropping a K&N filter in the stock airbox. Also make sure everything is tuned up properly.
A free flow exhaust system may help as well. Remus exhaust is the best, but they're a lot more than $500.
Usually people who want more power from a 2.6, either swap a 3.0 liter in or have a custom turbo built (thousands of dollars)

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
Ok 190E2.6owner1, you're in luck. I like cheap upgrades as well. This is what I've done.

1.) Make the switch to synthetic motor oil if you haven't already.
2.) Make sure air/oil/fuel filters are good (change if necessary of course)
3.) New spark plugs
4.) Get some fuel injector cleaner
5.) Replace air intake temperature sensor (if it looks like it's seen better days); it's only $11; this results in more accurate readings and hence, better performance
6.) Make sure tires are properly inflated, balanced, rotated

Do this and you'll be running quite well.

Estimated cost: around $150 (probably less)

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,983 Posts
Ok 190E2.6owner1, you're in luck. I like cheap upgrades as well. This is what I've done.

1.) Make the switch to synthetic motor oil if you haven't already.
2.) Make sure air/oil/fuel filters are good (change if necessary of course)
3.) New spark plugs
4.) Get some fuel injector cleaner
5.) Replace air intake temperature sensor (if it looks like it's seen better days); it's only $11; this results in more accurate readings and hence, better performance
6.) Make sure tires are properly inflated, balanced, rotated

Do this and you'll be running quite well.

Estimated cost: around $150 (probably less)
I just did all of the above suggestions in the past month and I can feel better performance out of her now.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Are K&N filters a good idea or not? I have heard both good and bad, what do all of you think?

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,555 Posts
I just purchased some Kingsborne 8mm performance plug wires from Bekker. I hope it makes a slight improvement over the stock ones that I believe are 7mm! Also, I have a K & N filter, Remus exhaust and a bigger throttle body (for a 300E) also bought from Bekker. Here is the info on the plug wires:

Custom Kingsborne Performance Wires: Bekkers BMW & Mercedes Parts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
i have a 1991 2.6 and this is what i have on my car that is not mercedes :

-8.5mm magnecore wires that have no metal shield ( dont worry about resistance, it is already compensated for by the material itself )

- nology silver spark plugs non resistor

- nology ignition coil

- took out air pump and used shorter belt for weight reduction and noise reduction

-seafoam your engine

-took out middle muffler and made into Y pipe after cat ( but i want to have both pipes going all the way back later, just no money to do that right now )

- change your distributor and cap and rotor if you havent

- my fuel distributor has never been adjusted ( sealed top )

with all of these items, i get almost perfect emission readings, average 100km/10L mixed driving mostly city + spirited driving

performance is sweet, it peels around 60km/h for a second

1 - 9 of 9 Posts