Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C36, 2004 CLK55
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me what this TSB says? MB has posted it for every Mercedes make and model (see AllData.com). We've had a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the rear of our C36 and got 25K miles out of them, and we just purchased a new set of four which will go on in the spring. Never had any problems and am very pleased with the treadwear. The TSB was posted in Jan. '04. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Greg

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
this has been covered in the past but here is the story:

On January 16, 2004 Mercedes Benz issues a Star Bulletin to all their dealers as follows:

Please be advised that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season) is not an approved (nor certified) Mercedes-Benz tire for any Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicle. Use of the above mentioned tire can cause vehicle tracking issues which MBUSA will not attempt to correct. MBUSA will not perform warranty wheel alignments on any subject vehicle which has any non-approved wheel/tire packages installed.

then in June

Michelin ³Mercedes-Benz & Michelin Pilot Sport A/S² Technical Bulletin dated June, 2004. covers the slight modifications Michelin has made to selected sizes of the Pilot Sport A/S tire line to allow them to better complement medium and large sedans.

While the Pilot Sport A/S modifications are unlikely to change MBUSA¹s policy of not covering the costs associated with the diagnosis and correction of drivability problems of vehicles equipped with non-OE tires under warranty, test results have made Michelin very confident they have eliminated the cause of the subtle drifting experienced on a limited number of vehicles.

in short the problem was found and fixed

·
Registered
1996 C36, 2004 CLK55
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Luke!

We're far from "under warranty", and get alignments done when the new tires are installed at one of your recommended installers, not at the dealer.

Plus, the C36 is not what I'd call a "medium to large sedan" and we've never experienced the drifting that they mention.

Thanks again! We'll be talking again this fall for 2 sets of snow tires!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,068 Posts
[email protected] - 2/23/2005 2:53 PM

Michelin ³Mercedes-Benz & Michelin Pilot Sport A/S² Technical Bulletin dated June, 2004. covers the slight modifications Michelin has made to selected sizes of the Pilot Sport A/S tire line to allow them to better complement medium and large sedans.

While the Pilot Sport A/S modifications are unlikely to change MBUSA¹s policy of not covering the costs associated with the diagnosis and correction of drivability problems of vehicles equipped with non-OE tires under warranty, test results have made Michelin very confident they have eliminated the cause of the subtle drifting experienced on a limited number of vehicles.

in short the problem was found and fixed
Luke,

Is there a reliable date of manufacture of the Pilot Sport A/S after which we can be assured of getting the modified tires?

My wife just put a set on her Linclon Town Car, replacing the OEM Michelins - and is thrilled with them. Great improvement in steering response, no "pull," drift or squirminess. Better road feel. Tires were manufactured in April '05 (14-05).

I'm considering a set for my '00 S500; only decision is whether to go to 18" wheels and a 45 series tire or stay with my OE 16" rims and a 60 series tire (my wife's are 60-series on OE rims).

I would not like to get a set that had been in a warehouse for a time, and lacked the correction.

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
after May of 2004 .... and Michelin has gotten all of the questionable tires back and destroyed them long ago

·
Registered
94sl-600
65 Posts
You would not like the harsh ride of the '45' series tire on that car. To ride decently, the shock rates need to be different and rubber bushings would have to be replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts