Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just started on my new 81 380SL and the first thing I did was replace and clean out the dirt and mouse pieces from the battery compartment. The bottom is rusted and I was going to give it a little paint but I would like to remove the two rubber drain hole plug thingies that are under the battery box and I assume the nipple on the bottom of the box goes through. After searching here and the interwebs I do not know what they're called or if there's replacements. I'm taking my time section by section to learn and do things right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mercedes EPC shows 2 of 107-997-27-81 water drain grommet -rear right. The diagram shows it below the battery box.
They appear to be what I am seeing under my 560SL, also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
I can't check mine at present, but as long as you get the diameter correct you should be able to get new generic ones at any motor parts shop?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hello, I just started on my new 81 380SL and the first thing I did was replace and clean out the dirt and mouse pieces from the battery compartment. The bottom is rusted and I was going to give it a little paint but I would like to remove the two rubber drain hole plug thingies that are under the battery box and I assume the nipple on the bottom of the box goes through. After searching here and the interwebs I do not know what they're called or if there's replacements. I'm taking my time section by section to learn and do things right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi - and welcome to the forum!

The part number (as others say) is 1079972781, and they're available from several vendors (a web search will find it). There are actually three on the car - two in the bottom of the battery box, and one in the bottom of the spare wheel well, at the front. As Aussie says, you could use generic grommets, but the advantage of the original is that it stops water coming back into the trunk through the hole.

A couple of the other guys mentioned the "EPC" - this is a Mercedes software Electronic Parts Catalog which is available (unofficially). I'd strongly advise getting a copy of it, as it will prove invaluable in tracking down parts and working out how your car is put together!

-Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
DeltaAndrew
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing