Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found out last week that my trusted mechanic is out of business of repairing old MB and sold all the tools.
Wish I knew as I would have picked up some. I could have used the chain peening tool.

Long story short I need someone to work on timing Chain/guides/tensioner replacement.
I have all the parts from the dealer, just do not have the peening tool and whatever other tools that are needed.

If you have a trusted mechanic who can do this and have done it dozens of times I would appreciate it.

Engine is M103, W201.

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
several good folks at different levels here in santa cruz. but thats not quite 'south bay'.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welll, I'm closer than you think LCG. Just 25 miles away across HWY17. Who would you use in Santa Cruz for timing chain work? I have all the parts, so that has to be OK with them.
Otherwise, I'm going to be on the hunt for a chain breaker and peening tool. Hate to do this for the first time and trash the engine I helped preserve for 30 years.

- Happy Thanksgiving

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
ok, two completely different shops.

1) Precision Mercedes, on Water St.... this is a rather chaotic and busy shop, they take almost anything that drops in, run by Frank who's a total whiz on older benzes, drives several W124's himself, including a Cabriolet :) very good prices, doesn't mind owner supplied parts. tell Frank John Pierce sent you.... Downside is if they are overstuffed, things can slip a day, which would suck for you coming over the hill. And sometimes when I've asked them to do something major and a few minor things, the minor things got forgotten on that visit, but he takes care of them next time I remind him, sometimes in the driveway while I wait. He's never had any issues with me supplying parts, but of course, can't warranty my parts. He uses almost entirely OEM MBZ parts except for the things that are not directly available, and also has a bunch of parted out 124's and other similar models he'll scavenge used parts from if you ask.

2) Circle Star Motors, one man shop run by a former dealer mechanic, does meticulous work, rarely has more than a couple cars in his large shop, place is spic and span clean, all work is done by appointment only, and costs just about what a dealer costs...... HMMM, original guy might have retired, I see new names and younger faces on their website, and more of an emphasis on newer models, oh well.

·
W201 Moderator
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks LCG, I'll take a drive over the hill and check out Precision Mercedes when I get a chance, I assume he has done a few timing chain replacements in the past.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
I'm sure he's done more than a few. Frank has been fixing Mercedes for like 40 years. started at a dealer wrench in the 70s, then ran the shop for a Mercedes reseller/broker, then opened his own shop. I watched him drop a completely rebuilt OM617 turbo into a old G300D. he's got a well trained bunch of wrenches in his shop to do the majority of the work, which he closely supervises. place looks pretty chaotic but he keeps it rolling. its a 3-4 bay garage but he can have 6+ cars squeezed in there under various stages of repair or service.

·
W201 Moderator
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds great! Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely check it out!

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
If you decide to leave your car there, let me know, I'll come pick you up (I live about 5 mins away), we can go somewhere for a good espresso or beer or whatever, or heck, I could run you over the hill back to SJ if the car is going to be there overnight. or rent a couple Jump e-bikes and terrorize the bike lanes. hah! cheap thrills. of course, the forecast right now is rain through next weekend with no breaks in sight.

this is the shop,

·
W201 Moderator
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My phone suggests 9 days of rain. Not complaining we need it. After it clears, I'll stop by to talk to the owner. Would be great to meet you for coffee! I'll give you a heads up thru PM.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
best coffee in Santa Cruz...

A) Lulu Carpenters - original downtown, plus several remote kiosk locations, and Coffee Cat in SV which is the same folks, and their roaster.
B) Del Marette - downtown next to the Del Mar theater.
C) Verve Coffee Roasters - downtown, also on 41st.

any of these blow Peet's or Starblech out of the water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts