Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Trunk will not close all the way

2635 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  rrballesteros
This just started. Looks like the second level vacuum close is not kicking in. All doors close fine, and the trunk handle retracts...

Is there something I should check, or should this be off to the dealer?

Jim
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1995 MB S320V: 2006 kawasaki vulcan 900 lt
414 Posts
trunk

For a start you should make sure that the trunk latch is not loose. I mean the part of the latch that is attached to the body, not the part that is on the trunk lid. It's a common problem and easily fixed.
Take off the plastic trim on the trunk lid, it is held on with plastic rivets just pop them out with a screw driver, and check the latch. You need a torqs wrench to tighten it.
Barry

· Registered
600sel
1 Posts
pump after the back seat is broke open the trunk its
located at the left site take away ...

pump after the back seat is broke open the trunk its
located at the left site take away the carpet
and remove the grey foam if you disconet it for a few
minutes it will work for a few times

try to get a secondhand new is very expensive

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
Search the forums for closing assist

Check the catch, the bolts on the lower lock sometimes loosen.
Manually rotate the catch on the lock to close, if the top catch pulls in the latch is loose, push the button on the lock (to relese lock) before you try close and lock it again. There are some rebuilt vacum pumps out there, be careful of used ones. As a matter of fact if the fuses for it are disconnected, and then replaced some of these defective pumps work again for a while. That is another test you can perform.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This just started. Looks like the second level vacuum close is not kicking in. All doors close fine, and the trunk handle retracts...

Is there something I should check, or should this be off to the dealer?

Jim
Thanks for the feedback. I found and pulled the fuse, with no result. Took the car in to the MB dealer in Littleton, and they "re-synced the valves" (?) and charged me $21 for labor. Trunk appears to be fixed.

Jim

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
Resync

I used to pull two fuses in the trunk, and wait 30 seconds, to resync. I hope tis will be a permanent fix for you. There was one fellow who wanted to put in a relay that would remove the fuse when starting the car ( I thought about it at one time) when it fails time for a rebuilt or a new one (pricey)

· Registered
1996 S320V
17 Posts
Hello All,

The trunk lid on my 1996 S320 ceased closing all the way, the handle retacted normally but the lid itself was not being pulled tightly shut. In the trunk I pulled fuse number 9, waited 30 seconds and then re-installed the fuse. Trunk lid is now operating perfectly. I will post again if this proves to be only a temporary fix.

Thanks Everyone

· Registered
92 600 SEL
50 Posts
I just fixed my truck closing assistant problem today. My doors also closed fine. I remove and replaced fuse 9. It worked for one shut. I then noticed that the latch on the lid did not move forward (out) when the lid was just opened. It should push forward. I loosened the two 10mm screws and adjusted several times until it allowed the closing assistant to take control. [:)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.