Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went to put the roof down my CLK and got the "trunk partition" wanrning on the dash. Thinking nothing of it I went to close it, however it will now not lock in either the up or down position. It just flops half way between the two positions

Looking at the parts diagram below, there does not look like there is a whole lot to this thing other than the two gas "Trunk Struts" part number A2096900059. (number 420 on the attached diagram

Question is, has anyone else had this happen? Could it be anything other then the two gas struts? anyone know easy these are to change?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
Pretty much everybody has/or will have it happen at some point. There are many, many threads on it. New ones are not hard to install.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,361 Posts
Yep, this is a very simple DIY. rmeuropean.com seems to have the best price I can find ($21 each)

·
Registered
1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
810 Posts
So I think I have this same problem with my wifes CLK

Went to put the roof down and yes, it keeps saying close partitioner. When I pull it down I hear the switch click, but then the pressure of the partitioner releases and the switch clicks again... essentially telilng the car it is not closed.

I jammed a shovel in there to 'hold' the partitioner down in place and the roof worked

so my assumption is I order up 2 of these struts... sound about right??

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Went to put the roof down and yes, it keeps saying close partitioner. When I pull it down I hear the switch click, but then the pressure of the partitioner releases and the switch clicks again... essentially telilng the car it is not closed.

I jammed a shovel in there to 'hold' the partitioner down in place and the roof worked

It was a long time ago now but it was the two struts that fixed the problem for me. Aside from having to work in the trunk it was no more complicated than replacing trunk or Hood struts. just use a small flat tip to unclip the metal clip on the ball joint at each end they pop off. Installation was the revers.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Convertible
625 Posts

Actually, you may only need one. Check to see which one is not holding the partitioner in place. If it is both, then order two, but if only one, then you could save some bucks.

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, you may only need one. Check to see which one is not holding the partitioner in place. If it is both, then order two, but if only one, then you could save some bucks.
In my case I found that both had gone out at the same time. Given that they are likely the same age and are inexpensive its as easy to change one as it is to change two. You may as well do them both at the same time.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Convertible
625 Posts
But only the driver's side has the safety switch; thus it is more important that the unit on that side hold the partition back soundly against the switch.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Trunk partitioner will not lock into place (up or down) gas strut faliure?

Ordered two struts from rmeuropean and installed today / top now working again wife will enjoy this summer!

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 CLK 550 Convertible
76 Posts
Have been getting this error more frequently and figured I would need to replace the struts. I found that a small spring clamp I had in the garage served the purpose of holding the switch closed. Maybe problem solved, for free!

·
Registered
2008 CLK-350 Convertible
348 Posts
Change the gas struts ;-) The problem isn't solved by the clamp, it is just masked. One (not so) fine day, maybe soon, the top will go down and all the expensive, delicate, obscure, finely German engineered available-from-MB-only-at-obscene-list-prices will be in the way of the moving parts including the tearable canvas top and breakable rear window, which will think everything is hunky-dory and open fully anyway. I'm not all that far from Melbourne, and I fear I will be able to hear your screams of anguish when it happens.

If you buy 'em, I'll even help you put them on . . . (I'm about an hour north of you). They're easy.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,361 Posts
Mike makes an excellent point. Instead of using a clip to trip the switch, use something to hold the partition in place.

·
Registered
2008 CLK 550 Convertible
76 Posts
Went ahead and replaced the struts. The old ones popped off with a screwdriver pretty easy & the new ones popped back on the ball joints super quick. No big deal other than squirming around a bit in the trunk. Much easier than I had feared.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same issue on my 2009 CLK350, the partition will not stay in place to close the switch. Instead of buying new struts I use a piece of 1x2 wood to hold the partition in place. Works great.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Convertible
625 Posts
I have this same issue on my 2009 CLK350, the partition will not stay in place to close the switch. Instead of buying new struts I use a piece of 1x2 wood to hold the partition in place. Works great.
Not only does the strut hold the partition in place to make room for the top but it also holds it the other way to load stuff in the trunk. You really should replace the struts. This is a Mercedes, not a Fiat!

·
Registered
810 Posts

A good immediate solution if you need to lower the roof, and then spend the $25 for the benefit of not only yourself but the next owner!

Always nice to find a quick fix to keep the world turnin’ tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
19,361 Posts
:eek We need a "dislike" button! Seriously, the struts are cheap are fairly easy to replace.

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 convertible
5 Posts
I recently replaced the struts using the less expensive ones that rmeuropean offers. They don't seem to slide as smoothly but they work. The first side took 15 minutes the second side half that. I used a zip wheel to modify a weed puller to fit over the ball end mount so you can pry on both sides of the strut and the old struts came right off. I think this is probably one of the least expensive repairs on a CLK.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts