Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BenzWorld W140 Host
W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My trunk/boot won't close completely. I don't hear the vacuum sound that usually close the trunk completely.

here's a pic

What's the problem? The vacuum on all 4 drs doors work though except for the driver's door- Not as strong as before.(Have to slam it a bit to complete close)

z.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 ML 320Cdi Off-Road package, 2010 E500 Cab
340 Posts
Wow Zeaq I don't believe this post :confused:

You have more than a thousand posts to your name?
I have only a few and I'm getting bored with all the close assist posts, admitting I did one of them myself - this must be the most common problem on the W140.
Fortunately its easy to rectify, for now just pull and replace fuse no 9 in the boot, it will reset the system.

·
Registered
1997 S600
9 Posts
Had the same problem

I had the same problem, took the car to my mechanic and he indicated that it needs adjustment; he took $20 and 30 min and took the vacuum unit outside and return it back...it was quick.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 S-500 with 37000 miles
156 Posts
If the vacuum pump seems to be doing all that it's supposed to do, then you just need a minor adjustment to the hinge. I repaired mine in a few minutes with a screw driver. Skill level needed is about a 1 out of 10. My screws just loosened themselves over time and caused the relax position to be out about 1/8 of an inch. A little fiddling with the adjustable center lock on the inside of the truck and it's now perfectly flush with the body.

·
Registered
2006 ML 320Cdi Off-Road package, 2010 E500 Cab
340 Posts
gold benz; My screws just loosened themselves over time and caused the relax position to be out about 1/8 of an inch. .[/QUOTE said:
Locktite?

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Fortunately its easy to rectify, for now just pull and replace fuse no 9 in the boot, it will reset the system.
Tried that this time. Use to work for me but now it's not. I think I may need a new pump cuz doors aren't working now either (but trunk handle close works).

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
431 Posts
Yea, your pump is fine. Remove the black plastic threshold strip, and locate the three bolts holding the latch in the body of the trunk (not the lid). Lower the unit about 1/4" and tighten the bolts.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Tried that this time. Use to work for me but now it's not. I think I may need a new pump cuz doors aren't working now either (but trunk handle close works).
Possible that the pump's motor is dead, but don't give up on it until you try resetting the pump by either pulling the connector directly at the pump or by disconnecting the car's battery. If the pump begins to work again after doing one of these, then it likely is fine and will run for a good long time as long as you do the shut-off pressure adjustment described in the v12uberalles.com article linked to above. My pump has now run for 5 years post adjustment without a single failure to close a door.

Brett

1 - 11 of 11 Posts