Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1997 CL500
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 CL500, and I have noticed that when i close the trunk, the handle goes in as it should, but the latch does not pull the rest of the trunk, and there is a gap. What could be the issue ?

· Registered
1999 S500; W140.051; 2003 E320; W211.065; 1973 220; W115.010
1,209 Posts
PSE pump needs to be reset. Pull & reinstall fuse located in trunk. I think it is fuse #9.

There may be a leak that caused/allowed the pump to run too long and it stopped working for the trunk close assist.

Power cycling the PSE pump with the fuse method should reset it and it will work until the next time is stops.

· Registered
1997 CL500
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PSE pump needs to be reset. Pull & reinstall fuse located in trunk. I think it is fuse #9.

There may be a leak that caused/allowed the pump to run too long and it stopped working for the trunk close assist.

Power cycling the PSE pump with the fuse method should reset it and it will work until the next time is stops.
If there is a leak, how can I find out from where it is coming and to fix this leak ? Is there a common weak spot ?

93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
9,043 Posts
It is the close-assist pump that does all the "Sucking" of doors and trunk. The pump is located on the American Drivers-side near the trunk hinge. You need to take the trunk paneling off to get to it-it is in rubbery foam box, but first reset the fuse there in the trunk, and I do not know the fuse number. Try that first! If it works, your pump needs to be adjusted internally. If the fuse-reset does NOT work, then your line to the trunk(a red burgundy plastic vacuum line-inside the trunk hinge arms has to be tested with a vacuum tester from the close assist pump. It is the center vacuum line, or the third line from the end on the pump. The pump is blue on Coupe's, but I have seen the black sedan pumps with two caps on coupe's too. It is possible the diaphram has a leak if you cannot get the trunk striker to suck-in.

Here is some Star Literature 1 and 2

Hope you understand it and make it work,

Martin

· Registered
1997 CL500
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the close-assist pump that does all the "Sucking" of doors and trunk. The pump is located on the American Drivers-side near the trunk hinge. You need to take the trunk paneling off to get to it-it is in rubbery foam box, but first reset the fuse there in the trunk, and I do not know the fuse number. Try that first! If it works, your pump needs to be adjusted internally. If the fuse-reset does NOT work, then your line to the trunk(a red burgundy plastic vacuum line-inside the trunk hinge arms has to be tested with a vacuum tester from the close assist pump. It is the center vacuum line, or the third line from the end on the pump. The pump is blue on Coupe's, but I have seen the black sedan pumps with two caps on coupe's too. It is possible the diaphram has a leak if you cannot get the trunk striker to suck-in.

Here is some Star Literature 1 and 2

Hope you understand it and make it work,

Martin
Thank you very much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts