Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 450SL didn't come with a trunk lock - Boooo!

I've obtained a replacement from a scrapped 74 450SLC - Huraaah!

It doesn't fit properly - Boooo!

The part of the rotating mechanism indicated by the red arrow needs to rotate behind the spring loaded latch lever as the key is turned counter clockwise; however mine is slightly too far forwards (towards the front of the car) so it hits the side of the spring loaded latch lever. I.e. the key cannot be turned fully counter clockwise. I hope that makes sense.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks! Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,914 Posts
Has the tail panel been impacted to your knowledge? I experienced this problem after a rear end collision. There is a slight adjustment that can be made at the latch. I had to move mine as far forward as it would go; also had to push the outer tail panel rearward a few mils to make things line up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've eyeballed it and the back of the car looks perfect. So does the panel on the inside of the trunk. I'm now wondering if this is why the PPO removed the lock.

Looking at the latch I am thinking that maybe I can build up the surface indicated to move the latch lever out of the way slightly. I've tested it with the trunk lid and it seems the lever has to move quite a way before it releases, so I think there is a bit to play with. Any ideas on how I could give it a temporary test?

Thanks, Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,914 Posts
This is a fiddly operation. When I had this problem, I ended up locking myself out of the trunk. If that happens, there is a solution (published on this forum) involving a drilled hole to actuate the latch. I hated doing it, but had no choice. Read this if it happens to you:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1701910-trunk-lock-issues.html

I do not have a method for temporary test. I found that everything had to be securely fastened to see if an adjustment worked or not.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brad! What adjustment did you make on the spring loaded latch side? I can't see anything to adjust on mine.

Andy

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,914 Posts
I used a wire brush to clean everything from the latch mechanism. I used Superlube (NAPA autoparts) to make sure everything was moving as it should. As far as adjustment goes, I thought there was a small amount of left/right, fore/aft allowance at the mounting points - going from memory as I am not able to look at my car at the moment.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a wire brush to clean everything from the latch mechanism. I used Superlube (NAPA autoparts) to make sure everything was moving as it should. As far as adjustment goes, I thought there was a small amount of left/right, fore/aft allowance at the mounting points - going from memory as I am not able to look at my car at the moment.
Reviving this thread because I am still stuck on this. I have no idea why the lock is fouling the latch when everything appears to be straight. The lock has the correct part number on it. I also don't see any fore/aft adjustment method - seems it's just simple bolts holding on the lock and the latch?

Anyone have any ideas what I can try to get this lock installed? Thanks!!

Andy

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
67 Posts
Andy, Mine was doing the same thing. I found the vacuum lock mechanism was bad, and kept the lock from working properly. I just plugged the two vacuum lines and removed the rod from the lock, and it works well now. No automatic lock, but not stuck with a locked trunk. I did notice that turning the key in the lock all the way counter clockwise and then pushing the button would open the lock. that was my starting point.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. I have this issue with the vacuum pod disconnected from the lock mechanism.

I'm now wondering if I can remove the piece of metal trim with the lock hole in it and shim it with some washers so it is a few mm further away from the trunk. Looks like there is quite a few rubber seals in the area so I am not sure if this is feasible.

Andy

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,914 Posts
Andy,

I think the latch piece on the trunk lid (the thing that the hook grabs) can be moved around a few mils. Will that solve your issue?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Brad - the problem is the latch (the part that is held on by three bolts) interferes with the lock mechanism, so the interference is inside the lock/latch mechanism. I don't think any adjustment on the trunk lid would help. The trunk lid currently latches nicely - so that is working fine.

Andy

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
163 Posts
Hi Andy. This was propably all working fine when the car was new, so the most possible plausibility for me seems, that one day the lock was changed. Trunk locks for the R/C107 are hard to find so maybe someone has exchanged it in the past with another type that fits almost but not right. Using a cheap borescope (Ebay. "borescope android") will help to bette understand the situation and maybe milling down the lever a little bit will solve the problem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Andy. This was propably all working fine when the car was new, so the most possible plausibility for me seems, that one day the lock was changed. Trunk locks for the R/C107 are hard to find so maybe someone has exchanged it in the past with another type that fits almost but not right. Using a cheap borescope (Ebay. "borescope android") will help to bette understand the situation and maybe milling down the lever a little bit will solve the problem.
Hi Martin,

The car came without a trunk lock. I purchased a full set of locks from a 1974 SLC. The part number stamped on the lock matches what the EPC says I should have, so I think I am OK in that respect. I know the sedans had locks that were similar but much longer at the rear and those would definitely not fit.

Andy

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
67 Posts
If you didn't have a lock when you purchased the car, do you know if the proper seals were in place? It could be a missing rubber seal makes the difference on the lock. Just a thought..

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
163 Posts
Hi Andy, OK - but something seems to be wrong. Maybe it's a missing seal or the problem is located on the opposite side. Anyway: if you could take a look using a borescope, you will know more.
Martin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts