Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 450SL didn't come with a trunk lock - Boooo!

I've obtained a replacement from a scrapped 74 450SLC - Huraaah!

It doesn't fit properly - Boooo!

The part of the rotating mechanism indicated by the red arrow needs to rotate behind the spring loaded latch lever as the key is turned counter clockwise; however mine is slightly too far forwards (towards the front of the car) so it hits the side of the spring loaded latch lever. I.e. the key cannot be turned fully counter clockwise. I hope that makes sense.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks! Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Has the tail panel been impacted to your knowledge? I experienced this problem after a rear end collision. There is a slight adjustment that can be made at the latch. I had to move mine as far forward as it would go; also had to push the outer tail panel rearward a few mils to make things line up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've eyeballed it and the back of the car looks perfect. So does the panel on the inside of the trunk. I'm now wondering if this is why the PPO removed the lock.

Looking at the latch I am thinking that maybe I can build up the surface indicated to move the latch lever out of the way slightly. I've tested it with the trunk lid and it seems the lever has to move quite a way before it releases, so I think there is a bit to play with. Any ideas on how I could give it a temporary test?

Thanks, Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
This is a fiddly operation. When I had this problem, I ended up locking myself out of the trunk. If that happens, there is a solution (published on this forum) involving a drilled hole to actuate the latch. I hated doing it, but had no choice. Read this if it happens to you:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1701910-trunk-lock-issues.html

I do not have a method for temporary test. I found that everything had to be securely fastened to see if an adjustment worked or not.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Brad! What adjustment did you make on the spring loaded latch side? I can't see anything to adjust on mine.

Andy

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I used a wire brush to clean everything from the latch mechanism. I used Superlube (NAPA autoparts) to make sure everything was moving as it should. As far as adjustment goes, I thought there was a small amount of left/right, fore/aft allowance at the mounting points - going from memory as I am not able to look at my car at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
cushjbc
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing