Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03' SL500
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just purchased an 03'SL can someone tell me when the trunk release is activiated, how high or easily is the trunk lid supposed to open on its own? My E class cars pop all the way up without touching them. The SL barely moves on its own and must be manually lifted. I know it's a heavy lid but I want to know if the pistons might be shot. Thanks.
Glenn

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
glennbaz - 5/1/2005 12:07 AM

Having just purchased an 03'SL can someone tell me when the trunk release is activiated, how high or easily is the trunk lid supposed to open on its own? My E class cars pop all the way up without touching them. The SL barely moves on its own and must be manually lifted. I know it's a heavy lid but I want to know if the pistons might be shot. Thanks.
Glenn
While the trunk lid is suppose to pop open right away the standard is that the trunk will not pop open to the extent the trunk will open where you do not have to pick up the trunk. It may only open a few inches at most.

I went through this and literally tested dozens of SL's and it certainly seems that your car trunk is operating properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
glennbaz - 5/2/2005 3:07 AM

Glenn
I have both a SL55 and a E55 and the trunk action is VERY different on the two. The SL is a very slow opening trunk while the E 'pops' open in two seconds. It doesn't sound to me that their is anything wrong w/ your SL.

~ Ian

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
That's stange... The only time the trunk hasn't worked for me properly is with my old W210 E250. But since, all of mine open smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts