Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a rear AMG bumper spoiler, and along with it comes a deck lid spoiler. I will also have a set of AMG non wide body type side skirts, so my question is, and I know this is a personal choice, but what are the groups thought on installing the trunk spoiler on this car. The light color of the car makes it a little understated and I think the spoiler might not look good. I am showing you a picture of the car so you know what I am talking about. Thanks in advance. I might also put on a set of black center wheels I have, but will see

Attachments

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
479 Posts
I would install the rear bumper spoiler first, then see how it looks to first balance out the ground effects.

Frankly, I think the current silver wheels on it would look great as a similar color theme throughout.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,551 Posts
I usually prefer them without. It's going to look great either way really though.

I also like these silver wheels on this car personally.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,061 Posts
I agree with DrewPT. I think you need to get that rear bumper spoiler installed before considering a decision on the trunk spoiler. You may like the clean look along the top lines of the car.

I'm also a big fan of body-colored cladding, in case you were about to ask...

And, I vote to keep the current wheels. I think black centers would be way too much contrast. If you're set on the black, perhaps paint them the same color as the cladding?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Spoiler or no spoiler will look great. Don’t touch the wheels and agree with painting the lower body to match. Beautiful car btw.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,566 Posts
Like most said: rear bumper spoiler FIRST. Then worry about the trunk spoiler. There are several variations of those, from mild to wild. My favorites are the thin original AMG, and the later, three piece AMG spoiler.
Either way, it would look even more out of balance if you were to install the trunk spoiler with no rear valance.
As luckymike pointed out it would look better with the lower parts painted body color. (And no black wheels on a silver car)
Beautiful car btw!!

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. Your opinions are valuable. I just seek input so I have different views in case I am off the reservation, which I do often. Will send pics once the rear is complete. I might also show the differences between the two types of side skirts. Painting the lower cladding will be expensive. Have to think on that one.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,187 Posts
i think painting lower will smoothen the lines out of the car, but because you have two lighter colors, its not as bad as this one

as for the trunk spoiler, which one did u get

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
The rear end looks clean without the trunk lid spoiler.

However...

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
yup

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
lets get your panels on first

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,226 Posts
It is an agonising personal choice on the Trunk lid issue- haha
But definately all one colour is the way to go for sure especially with silver and yes leave the rims as is.
I have both the amg lip and the larger amg wing for both my coupes and still haven't fitted any of them as still can't decide.
The larger amg wing i do have on my 560SEL which does suit it as part of its full amg gen2 bodykit

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,621 Posts
I finally found a rear AMG bumper spoiler, and along with it comes a deck lid spoiler. I will also have a set of AMG non wide body type side skirts, so my question is, and I know this is a personal choice, but what are the groups thought on installing the trunk spoiler on this car. The light color of the car makes it a little understated and I think the spoiler might not look good. I am showing you a picture of the car so you know what I am talking about. Thanks in advance. I might also put on a set of black center wheels I have, but will see
If not sure about the look, do a temp install with some double sided (mild) adhesive tape.
Imo, the small and understated trunk spoiler Axel Wulff has on his white SEC looks good.
48 hp aka Henrik has the same on his wide body coupe.

Btw, my Yas Marina Asst race director nephew who holds racing licenses for 14 separate categories advised me heavy duty double sided adhesive tape has been used to attach and hold parts without anything coming off during races. No kidding.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All your cars are gorgeous. Axle, that's the look I am trying for. VDBUB, nice color. I wish we all lived close to bring these beauties together. Each time I look at some of yours, I keep wanting to improve more. Again, thanks for the comments, it now goes to engineering (sleep at night and dream) to work out all the options I will do

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
we gotta keep pushing each other to make out cars the best,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts