Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
E320 Yr 2000, S430 YR 2002
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk lid on S430 MY 2002 has been playing up -- sometimes staying locked, other times not locking completely. I was able to open the lid with the mechanical key ( with considerable difficulty ). But I noticed a hissing sound.The doors do not self-close anymore but can be closed and opened with the remote key -- unlike the trunk. Once I remove the trunk lining, I can see the vacuum pump and locking mechanism. How can I tell if the central locking vacuum pump is faulty or just something to do with the trunk locking mechanism ? Are there any DIY with pictures for diagnosing and fixing the trunk lock mechanism ? :mad:

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
A hissing sound surely points to a leaking vacuum line. The self closing of the doors is deactivated if they fail to close within about 8 seconds. It can be reset by temporarily pulling the fuse in the yellow block in the fuse box under the rear seat passenger side. But first you have to find that leak.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mrelbe. I will lokk for the leak first. Any ideas on the most likely culprit ? loose vacuum hose or the white plastic "hockey puck" ?

·
Registered
2001 S500
18 Posts
I had an issue with the hockey puck. I couldn't find the piece by itself and I had to buy the whole assembly.

It sounds like you may have a different problem though; since none of your doors' soft close works.

I have one bad soft close on the driver's door and it has no effect on the trunk or other door soft close. I think that each door and trunk have separate lines from the pump (pretty sure is saw a pic online somewhere). That would seem to indicate an issue with the pump.

Where was the hissing sound coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems that the doors are soft closing OK now. I suspect the supply to the trunk mechanism is shut off by the control unit. I was hearing the hissing from the trunk area. I suspect that the central pump is OK, but something that relates to the trunk mechanism is faulty. Does the "hocky puck" come out by itself ? I would hate to spend > $400 to get the whole trunk lock mechnism, if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
2001 S500
18 Posts
Someone reported having good results by using gorilla glue and tape to keep the hockey puck together. I tried that first, but it only worked for a week or two.

Search around for a replacement puck by itself. I couldn't find one. Maybe a junk yard or eBay.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see a replacement puck on eBAY for $60, but how do I check that its the problem without a replacement part ? I can try the glue/epoxy method temporarily. Its good that it comes apart by itself without the complete assembly.

·
Registered
2001 S500
18 Posts
Take the trunk liner off and with the trunk open, push the latch closed to try to make the hissing sound. You may be able to feel / hear the air blowing out of the puck.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was able to open the trunk with the mechanical key. I took the whole lock mechanism out of the car and found that the hockey puck ( black cylinderical part ) body was broken. I reassembled the body with some epoxy and re-installed the mechanism. It worked fine for a couple of times. The trunk is now locked and I cannot hear any sounds from it. I cannot unlock it with the metal key either. If I can get the tunk open then I will replace the whole lock mechnism. How do I get the trunk to open ? As a last resort how would I go through the tail light ? Should I try a locksmith or the dealer instead ? ... confused and not sure how to proceed.

·
Registered
2001 S500
18 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was because I messed up something in the lock assembly when I put it back together. The pole that actually unlocks the trunk was not tight enough so it wasn't actually opening the latch.

Try to pull the fuse for the latch compressor (the 20 amp one).

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try pulling the fuse tonight, but I think the "metal rod", that is held by some pretty flimsy plastic pieces has dislodged and fallen off, so the actuator cannot do its work. I read on anothe rposting about drilling two 1/2 inch holes in the trunk lid behind the number plate. I think this mey be better than smashing a perfectly good corner light. Do you have any thougts about this idea ? Thanks for posting back.

·
Registered
2000 S500 172K Miles
51 Posts
Trunk Lid problem - No hissing sound missing fuse 66

I have a problem with my Trunk as well and I hope this is not considered hijacking a thread if so I will get out.

I do not have the hissing sound. My doors soft close fine.

The fuse chart for S500 has Fuse 62 controlling the trunk, however I have no fuse, or fuse relay on position #62. Does anyone have the same issue.

Can someone point me to a DIY for trunk fuse or tell me if they know if there is a way to install a fuse for a missing fuse relay.

Good luck on getting your trunk working.

·
Registered
2001 S500
18 Posts
Yea. It could work. I drilled one 1/8 hole in the trunk and was able to push the rod enough to get it to pop open.

You may be able to push or pull (can't remember which now) with a coat hanger. Worst case, you'll need to cut a big hole and replace that plastic part of the trunk.

·
Premium Member
1. S320, Model 2000, clr chalcedony blue. 2. 730Li, model 2005, clr titanium silver
35 Posts
Remote does not open/close doors and trunk lid. Also the rear head rests cant be operated with the button switch located at the front dash. is it to do with central locking pump?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Remote does not open/close doors and trunk lid. Also the rear head rests cant be operated with the button switch located at the front dash. is it to do with central locking pump?
The remote and the head rests are two seperate issues. How many remotes do you have? Have you changed the batteries in the remotes?

·
Premium Member
1. S320, Model 2000, clr chalcedony blue. 2. 730Li, model 2005, clr titanium silver
35 Posts
The remote and the head rests are two seperate issues. How many remotes do you have? Have you changed the batteries in the remotes?
have only one remote and its 1 1/2 year old only. This problem came last last year when car was almost standing idle for 4 months some days in rain too. Gave the car on my return to local mb dealer who fixed it and was ok. but for a day only. after that i have not shown to any one.

i noticed switch does not operate headrests also so i guessed its the central locking pump controlling both.

thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
have only one remote and its 1 1/2 year old only. This problem came last last year when car was almost standing idle for 4 months some days in rain too. Gave the car on my return to local mb dealer who fixed it and was ok. but for a day only. after that i have not shown to any one.

i noticed switch does not operate headrests also so i guessed its the central locking pump controlling both.

thanks.
No it is two different systems, you will need to check for central locking fault codes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts