Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please advise how to remove mechanism within the trunk lid circled in the picture attached. I'm having a hard time. I can’t seem to figure it out. Secured in there really well and doesn't even seem like there's enough space to remove it through. (I'd like to replace the black handle with a chrome handle.) :(

ALSO…

The trunk lid is NOT connected to the pneumatic lines now, BUT how do I get the handle to retract manually? It seems stuck open. Please help with this too.

Thank you so very much! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,705 Posts
Has to be removed from inside the trunk, remove felt and bolts, and kind of have to wiggle it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Argh; still sort of not understanding. Sorry.

Yes, interior trunk lining has been removed.

Where are the bolts? I removed the one pictured, but still no go. :|

Mechanism seems to very be tightly packed in there; not budging.

Otherwise; is there a way I can retract the trunk handle that's sticking out manually?

Don't want to break anything.

(note that the air lines are not connected to the trunk lid, and car isn't working anyway).

Any further insight / help on this please?

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,006 Posts
Look under the handle. At least on coupes, two of the license plate light screws hold the handle in. To retract it, there are two plastic rods that come out of the pneumatic actuator and are attached to a sort of crossbar. Press it toward the front of the car to retract.

Jon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it out; pushing the lever in the direction indicated in the attached picture retracts the handle.

Hopefully this helps someone else.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone has any detailed instructions, diagrams or videos on how to remove the whole mechanism from the trunk lid; I'd really appreciate it as well, as still unsure; doesn't seem to budge. :|

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Did you remove the screws holding the license plate lights in place?

Jon

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
It gets stuck to the rubber gasket surrounding it that seals water out. Just wiggle it some and it should break free.

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts