Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month when I got my car back from the dealer, and I noticed that the carpet of my trunk was wet. Dealer tested for leaks by running water around the trunk gasket and no water leaks.

Well, tonight it rain cats and dogs so I put a towel in my trunk underneath the rear window where the multi gaskets meet. My towel got very wet. I also noticed a drain tube underneath the area where the multi gaskets meet between the rear window and trunk lid.

Has any other SL R230 owners noticed that their trunks are wet when it rains?

·
Registered
SL65
201 Posts
Tigger,

Have them pour the water all down the back window- not just the trunk. The reason is where the back glass meets the side of the car, there is a piece of black plastic that is a form of "window trim" sometimes that piece can get cracked, and you may not even know it. I had the same problem- poured water all over the rear end- and voila`! found the leak- fixed it..and i'm all good now.

Hope this helps.

I will go to the showroom to take a picture and point out the piece i am talking about...and post it in a few mins.

-Dallas

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I schedule to bring in my car today form last week. Dealer called me today and said they have order the gasket around the rear window and trunk. I hope to get my car tomorrow.

Mercedes is the first car company that I dealt with that I have to schedule an appointment for them to see my car in advanced noticed.[:D][:D]

·
Registered
W212 E63, Dark Ash, Distronic plus
49 Posts
A quick search of the forum will reveal that others have
complained of water leaks in the trunk (the boot) of the
R230. I had the same problem. As you might expect MB
acts as though yours id the first ever SL to leak.
The truth is that they have major problem with this and as usual,
refuse to acknowledge any of it.
My leak got fixed (I hope) by re-gluing the trunk lid
gaskets and doing some minor adjustments to improve the seal.
But not before I got my important paper work wet and the
cotton shopping bag got mouldy.

Good luck!![:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts