Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can open the trunk from the key and the drivers side door just fine. The trunk closes with the button on the trunk, but I can't close it manually. It's really stiff and when I do get it to slam, it doesn't stay shut. Anyone else have this problem? I just figured that there would be a way to manually close the trunk incase the electric system fails or the trunk closer itselfs breaks. Does this mean that if my trunk closer breaks/fails, I'll have to drive around with an open trunk???Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
That's weird. Could it be a very tight spring? Did it work okay before?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I think you should definitely be able to close your trunk manually and for the very reason you cited - a failure of the auto-trunk closing mechanism. You have a new car, just take it to the dealer and get a free fix.

·
Registered
2010 ML 350; 2011 SL550
90 Posts
The auto closer on our E500 completely disintegrated. Broken metal, the whole thing. Why ? Not sure, but I think it is because we closed it manually a lot of tiimes. They had to replace the auto closer and the spring and the bracket that attached the trunk to the body!

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
5IVE: Check your owner's manual as MB will be very specific about how the lid can be closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts