Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trunk mounted third brake lights doesn't light up[:(!], but the brake taillights assembly lights up when the brake pedal is pressed. The bulbs are fine, it seems like there's not enough power going into the lighting assembly. I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and the one small one in the trunk and they are all ok. Don't feel like taking the car to the dealer for a small thing like this and I don't really trust them. Is there any other fuse/fuse box that is somewhere hidden in the car? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
truck brake light

i think i know why. it happend to mine. the electrical wire from the car to the light is broken at the truck's hinge (because the truck opens and closes so many times). the electrical wire is inside an "elastic" rubber sleeve along the truck's hinge. hope this helps.

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I kinda figure out that it was something like that. It seems like t...

Thanks for the info, I kinda figure out that it was something like that. It seems like that the wire has been worked on before because it seems like the previous owner of the car soldered the two individual wires. How did you get yours fixed Or am I better off getting it done at the dealer? Any guess on price? I'm not very good with electrical systems, I would just end up making things worst. Any help/info will greatly be appreciated.[:)]

·
Registered
21 Posts
fixing the wire

trust me, if i can fix it, anybody can fix it.

you did not mention if you see that "elastic-flexible-rubber-ribbed-sleeve" along at the hinge (above the battery). anyway, inside that "sleeve" is the wire. see where it is broken, cut it, and use a male/female circular electric connectors to reconnect the cut wires. that's it.

2 things:

one: the wire is not long, i.e. dont keep cutting it.
two: you most likely will NOT be able to put back the "sleeve" because of the bulky electric connectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts