Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1988 300CE
1,457 Posts
A thread with the words “True, pure motor racing“ in its title attracts my attention, of course. :)

I couldn‘t agree more with what Peter Windsor says about the 1967‘s F1 season. … It‘s the one that‘s engraved in my memory more than any other F1 season. IMO, the F1 cars from '67 belong to the most beautiful ones that have ever been built and the race tracks were still part of the real world ... way more spectacular than today‘s artificial arena‘s on mostly flat areas of less than 1 square mile. The ‘67 F1 racers were enormously talented & courageous people. What I saw these true gentlemen do on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife and on the super fast Spa-Francorchamps circuit, none of the current F1 drivers would ever dare to do.

The attached photo of the 1967 F1 start in Spa-Francorchamps, I took with my first own camera at the age of 10 years. It shows Jackie Stewart (BRM), followed by Mike Parkes (Ferrari), Chris Amon (Ferrari), Pedro Rodriguez (Cooper), John Surtees (white Honda), Jack Brabham (Brabham), Dan Gurney (Eagle), Mike Spence (BRM), Joakim Bonnier (Cooper), Ludovico Scarfiotti (Ferrari), Chris Irwin (BRM) and Jo Siffert (Cooper). … Graham Hill (Lotus) is still standing with problems in the cloud of smoke at the starting grid. … Jim Clark (Lotus) and Jochen Rindt (Cooper) were in front of Jackie Stewart (not shown in the picture).

Dan Gurney won that race. It was his first & only F1 victory. I spent a lot of time on that weekend in the paddock around his beautiful Eagle T1G-Weslake (my favorite F1 car in 1967), watching the mechanics (together with Dan Gurney) work on it. … And I still remember a Japanese mechanic in the neighboring area, sitting on the left rear wheel of John Surtees‘ Honda, listening closely to its enormously loud V12 engine while he was revving it with his hand for several minutes without earplugs in his ears. … :unsure:

F1 Spa-Francorchamps 1967.JPG

·
Outstanding Contributor
1988 300CE
1,457 Posts
Here‘s a video of John Surtees‘ beautiful 1967 Honda RA300 at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2017. :)

I loved (and still love) these 3 liter F1 cars from 1967 with their clean & clear design. Even the details were so nicely designed. These cars majorly contributed to my early interest in engineering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts