Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320, 2000 Audi TT Quattro, 1996 Acura NSX-T
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What is the best DIY fuel pump replacement guide out there? Anyone have a link to it? Honestly I have no idea if the fuel filter has been changed out ever- so it may be the original 2 hose version. Is there anything I should know about the replace the pump and possibly the new filter? Any quick way to check to see if the filter is the newer style?

Thing that sucks is the truck is sitting outside- doing outdoor work BLOWS :)

Is there any way to test to make sure the pump has failed- electrically?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Only other question I have is if the truck's fuel pump has fried, how come i do get around 9psi of pressure vs. 0psi? Could it be that the pump is just worn down so much that it can only give me 9psi? Thanks again everyone for all your help on this!!

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,617 Posts
Do the amp draw test of the pump if you want to test things to the end. I would order both the pump, fuel lines and the filter to finish the project in one day. Filter is a maintenance item (MB estimates 60k miles). If you never replaced it, your 2000 will need new upgraded filter, and upgraded fuel lines. Replace the filter first and check the pressure again if you want. While replacing the filter, you will find the fuel pump/fuel sender line. You can check the connector for 12v/ground. To install the new fuel lines, you need to open the pump access port. Once you are there, it is easy replacing the pump.

This is the DIY sticky
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1417771-diy-thread-collection.html#post3309608

Attached are the MB instructions.

Picture of the filter is from 2002. The filter in 2000 is shorter than 2002, hence the need for new fuel lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I ordered a new fuel pump and filter with updated hoses. I'm sure they won't be here until after Christmas. I will make sure this gets updated upon install. Thanks again for all the help this forum has provided me!!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Got it solved

Well after a couple weeks it looks like I got this one solved, thanks to all the assistance I got on the forum!!!

Not sure which part it was since I replaced two... I replaced the fuel pump and the filter. I replaced both because I was not sure if I had the replaced pump and filter combo since you can't get either of the old style. I did find out that my truck had the updated designs already- it was a 2000 for what its worth.

Upon replacing the pump and filter though the truck seems to be good to go. I ran it this morning (needed to get a new tire on the back- another nice gift from letting my sister drive it- 3 holes found), and it ran great.

I do have an SRS light on right now which I need to diagnose. What is a side perk is that my gas gauge when completely full would actually show as empty, but without the low level warning light. It was fluctuate around until I used a few gallons then it would be correct. I filled up this morning and the gauge is steady at the top.

I will need to watch it, make sure there are not leaks that pop up, but I have no smell of fuel, and nothing under the car or in the back. Going to bolt down the rear seats this afternoon.

Thanks again everyone for the help!!!!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts