Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been troubleshooting the central locking system on my 1983 300D. I have narrowed down the vacuum leaks to the rear door vacuum elements. I have tested the lines, and they are fine - the leak is definitely in the element. The lock circuit is good, and works fine, but there are leaks in both left and right rear unlock circuit. Does this sound right? It just seemed odd to me that the lock function could work when the unlock function leaked. I have tried securing the rubber fasteners to the vacuum line with zip ties but but that has not worked. I thought I would ask before shelling out $65 on new vacuum elements. Finally - if I find some of these at a junkyard - is it enough to just verify that both circuits hold vacuum? Any other tips to make sure that if I find them they work when I get home? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
Oh I recently spent 2 days doing this job on my TD....without a vacuum tester unless you count my breath. I think grabbing some elements from a junk yard car would be fine. No telling how much life is left in it but you can always coat the rubber diaphragm (around the shaft) with a rubberized coating as added protection against failing. Thats what I did to one of my vacuum actuators.

I would suggest eliminating any possibly leaking vacuum system components not related to the locking system by temporarily plugging them. Then connect test the lock system with one of the leaking pod lines plugged and see if you get full vacuum on the other leaking pods line. If the rest of the system is good, you'll get full vacuum. Otherwise start testing for leaks working towards the vacuum pump. This is how I fixed my door locks with very few new parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts