Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 300 TE 4 matic. Fantastic car! Anyhow occasionally when I go to start the car I need to jiggle the gear shift a bit to get it to start. Well we are starting to get into some really cold weather around here and the car does not want to start. I do not think that it is the battery as all the lights come on strong and the battery charger says everything is fully charged. When you turn the key nothing happens in the engine, does not even try to start. Any ideas? Are the two issues possibly related between needing to jiggle the gear shift and not starting?

Thank you!! :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
+1 on the neutral safety/backup lamps switch *IF* the shifter doesn't feel sloppy. If the shifter does feel sloppy you want to look at the linkage bushings first.

The neutral safety/backup lamps switch is on the left side of the transmission at the control input shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still needing help

I tried starting the car in neutral and it doesn't make a difference. So far it has eventually started, but for a minute or two nothing. I turn the key and all the lights come on, but the engine does nothing. Any ideas?!?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a 10 amp fuse behind your battery it has a clear plastic lid ,,, behind 2 long connecting plugs;;;; check that fuse its the cold start fuse see if its burnt out .

·
W124 Moderator
12,605 Posts
Here is the "any ideas". As mentioned, replace the NSS period. The fuse that poster drumhead mentions is the 10 amp blade fuse in your OVP relay. If it is a single fuse type relay, purchase a new relay. They are prone to fail and there are a zillion post on this subject. Replacement relays have dual 10 amp fuses.

Good luck and get on this before you are stranded.

Jayare

1 - 7 of 7 Posts