Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1979 300 TD waggon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 300 TD waggon. After my car sits all night; I have trouble starting it. Sometimes it requires starting fluid if the temp is not warm enough. After the car has been started the first time; it will start great the rest of the day.I think this car has approximatly 131,000 miles,(per working odometer) but not for sure. I have changed the oil and filter, fuel filters primary and secondary What can I do to remedy this problem? I will probably take the car to a mechanic that specalizes in german made autoes. Can you give me some insite into this problem? anything I can do myself? I would like to make my car an everyday driver if possible.

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
Do a search on glow plugs. Thats probably your problem and it has been adressed many times this winter so there is a lot of info in the threads of this forum. If you don't know how to search, click the word search at the top right hand corner.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
And I highly recommend you stop using starting fluid. Read the warnings on the can. It can blow up your prechambers and then you really won't be able to start it. Testing the glow plugs is quick and easy if you have an ohm meter. Valve adjustments are also supposed to be done every 15,000 miles.

Len

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
81 Posts
A good friend of mine had the same problem. The motor would sound like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I replaced 2 glow plugs and now she starts right up.
I would bet it's the plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts