Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wether its cold or warm outside it doesnt matter it generally take about 10-12 minutes and pumping the gas peddle in order to get my 300 SEL started. however after i get it started for the day i dont have any trouble at all with it. i read somewhere about unscrewing something from the back of the starter but dont remember what it said exactly or where i saw it

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
We'll need more info. Is it trying to start, meaning, does the starter crank? Is it just once a day, meaning when cold this happens (engine cold, not outside temps), then if you shut it off later and try to restart its fine? Have you tried pouring some starter fluid or gas in the intake to see if it starts that way? What tests/checks have you done? I'm guessing its fuel related, not spark or something else if it runs fine afterwards. But whether its fuel pressure related, the cold start injector or something else...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea its trying to start and i just replaced the fuel filter and pump on it spark is good tested the starter, altenator and fuel injection system and its all fine. and the engine itself could be cold or the outside temp could be cold i still have to pump the peddle. if i spray starter fluid directly into the intake it will start then after about 2-3 minutes will stall out. i did notice however that the engine/oil temp is touching on the 130 degree + mark while trying to start but will fall to the mid -low 80's after started

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Um, what do you mean by 'tested the fuel injection system and its all fine'? With what you listed, you've ruled everything pretty much out - you have spark, your starter is fine, your "fuel injection" is fine. Not much else left! So you are saying this is EVERY time you try and start the car, no matter the conditions, or only the FIRST time you try and start each day? If it runs when you put fuel in and then stalls, that tells me you have a fuel issue, ie you aren't building pressure/flow. Here's a good test - take out the fuel pump relay, unscrew the main line into the fuel distributor and put it into a jar, then jumper the fpr and see what flow/amount of fuel you get in 30-40 seconds. The manual says the nominal amount - I think its a liter in less than 40 seconds or something like that. Either you have a restriction, or you don't have pressure building. Did this problem start only after the fuel filter change or was it there before too?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
No amount of pumping the gas pedal will do anything since the car has fuel injection not carbs.

Test the cold start valve by checking for voltage at the connector. Use a test light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No amount of pumping the gas pedal will do anything since the car has fuel injection not carbs.

Test the cold start valve by checking for voltage at the connector. Use a test light.

i dont have to pump the gas peddle just have to hold it down and release it only the first time like this morning its about 37 degrees outside and took me about 15 minutes to get it started shut it off for about an hour and came back out to leave again and it started fine and it was doing this before i replaced the pump and filter

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
i... and it was doing this before i replaced the pump and filter
Time to start debugging the fuel system then. The service manuals on CD are a great resource here to take you through some steps/tests. I also mentioned a few above you should start with. I'm guessing you have a fuel pressure issue of some sort.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what i was thinking it was a fuel pressure system seems i have to hold down the gas peddle to get it to start. also i did get a chance to look again at the fuel pump and it seems there is a very small pinprick in one of the lines connected to the pump but i cant see how that would be a big enough factor as to my issue

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
thats what i was thinking it was a fuel pressure system seems i have to hold down the gas peddle to get it to start. also i did get a chance to look again at the fuel pump and it seems there is a very small pinprick in one of the lines connected to the pump but i cant see how that would be a big enough factor as to my issue
Is the gas leaking from the pinhole?
If it is you are losing gas pressure.
Regards.
aam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts