Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anybody know what is wrong with my 1982 240d. I have trouble starting it in the morning. it's not very cold out, but it will take me 6 or 7 attempts until it would start. I have 20w50 oil in the crankcase to minimize the oil consumption. I'm guessing is the glow plugs. Can anyone help me with this problem.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Like Rmac58 said, check Russell's photo guide at dieselgiant. I think on your 82 you will have the new "pencil" type glow plug. They are in a parallel circuit vice series, so it is not too difficult to figure out which one is bad. It will just take some time. If your pre-glow light is not coming on, you may have more than one plug in need of replacing. It might also be your relay. Before I did any further testing though, I would look at the 80A fuse. Check it for continuity. I once replaced all 5 glow plugs on a 1983 300SD (I was too lazy to troubleshoot the pre-glow system so I just replaced the glowplugs) to find out I had a microscopic crack on my 80A strap fuse. There was no visible signs of damage, but when I went to remove it, it came off in two pieces. I imagine you will need your pre-glow system in Canada. How long have you had your 240D? When did the pre-glow system start acting up? Do you have a block heater?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pre-glow system

Merz, I've had my 240D now for exactly a year now. The starting issue didn't happen last winter but just started two days ago. It has been getting colder out lately but its not that bad, maybe 10C = 50F? The pre-glow light is illuminating. I do have a block heater but I've been at my girlfriend's place all weekend and she doesn't have a spot for me to plug the car in. I'll have to plug it in at home this week and see if that helps.

As far as checking the plugs myself, I don't have a lot of time to learn how to work on my car but instead I like to learn a bit about what be wrong so that I can talk to the mechanic.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Merz, I've had my 240D now for exactly a year now. The starting issue didn't happen last winter but just started two days ago. It has been getting colder out lately but its not that bad, maybe 10C = 50F? The pre-glow light is illuminating. I do have a block heater but I've been at my girlfriend's place all weekend and she doesn't have a spot for me to plug the car in. I'll have to plug it in at home this week and see if that helps.

As far as checking the plugs myself, I don't have a lot of time to learn how to work on my car but instead I like to learn a bit about what be wrong so that I can talk to the mechanic.
I see. Well, other than this issue, I hope you are loving your 240D. I have had mine for about 3 years now. I love it. It is my baby. My wife is jealous of her. Anyway, if you take your car to a mechanic and tell them the issue, they are still going to perform a circuit continuity/resistance test in accordance with the factory service manual (hopefully they have one). Generally (at least here in the US) they will use the ASE job manual to determine what they can charge you. For example, they will look up how many man-hours they can charge for a glow-plug troubleshoot, which may end up being 2 hours. An honest mechanic will only charge you the time it takes him to finish, not to exceed the standard time, but there are not many honest mechanics out there. An easy way is to remove each glow plug and use jumper cables to see if the end glows red. If it doesn't, it's bad. Very simple. You take one out at a time. Check it. If it's bad, replace it. If you go through all 4 and they are all good, you need to check your wires for cuts, etc. I would say it should take you 2 hours tops. You will probably save at least $100 (USD). Good luck. If you have any more questions, this is the place to ask. BTW, is your 240D Manilla-Beige? or as my wife likes to call it, Mustard-yellow?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I say mustard yellow, because when you see it in the daylight it looks yellow. But in photos it looks manilla beige. My gf thinks its manilla beige. She would love to have a classy old white mercedes, but it isn't really practical for her (too slow for her!). Instead, she has a 2001 VW golf TDI that is having glowplug troubles of its own, hers has begun to be fussy to start in the morning as well, even though the weather hasn't changed dramatically lately. I'll let you know what I find out about my car. And thanks to you and Rmac for your advice.

Here it is, pictures taken in August:

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
WOW! Very nice. She is definitely worth keeping for a long time. I see your wheel covers are bare, did you buy replacements? Yours appears to be the same color as mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts