Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I was opening the soft top and left the soft top key on top of the dashboard, and accidentally knocked it - it fell down the air slit underneath the window in the passenger side UK car, into the air duct abyss. Is there any way to get it out with out removing the top dashboard? I assume access from the blower heater side is blocked by heater matrix? So annoyed 馃様

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'll try that and send a camera down the slit to establish the location. I guess my question was if the easy solutions fail is removing the top dashboard the only way to access the vent? I don't see any magic flap underneath dash or the air vent, but maybe someone has been here before.

Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
I don't see an easy way other than a magnet as suggested. That piece has no outside access. You would need a strong small magnet and maybe attach it (firmly) to to a coat hanger wire.

Registered
Hello everyone!
My submission seemed to get removed & I received a message informing me my account has low karma & I must increase my karma In order to make a post.
How exactly can I gain enough account karma in order to make posts & how much karma is exactly needed?
Thank you in advance. Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

Premium Member
1976 450SL
Hi folks,

I was opening the soft top and left the soft top key on top of the dashboard, and accidentally knocked it - it fell down the air slit underneath the window in the passenger side UK car, into the air duct abyss. Is there any way to get it out with out removing the top dashboard? I assume access from the blower heater side is blocked by heater matrix? So annoyed 馃様 View attachment 2618233
When I rebuilt my heater last year, I found lots of debris (combs etc) that had clearly dropped down into the box. From memory, I found them in the next to bottom section, NOT on top of the heater matrix.

You can the lower part, and leave the rest of the heater in the car, by sliding off the metal 'clips' (4 of them) that hold the top to the bottom. If I recall, I first removed the side ducts (plastic pipe) and peering though the hole into the box, could see the items inside the box through the hole. Given that the handles are so thin, you might get them out through that hole if you have a magnet on a string or pole, and not have to even remove the bottom of the heater.

Take a look at some of the listings for R107 heater boxes on ebay to understand the structure.

Good luck!

-Steve

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Aussie and Steve, that's good advice - I hope I'll get lucky! I'll inspect the box with a camera, it will be next Saturday as I'm away, and take it from there.

Steve, I hope your trick will save the day!

Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Rare Earth magnet....
it saved me when the block ate the timing chain at the tensioner end (whilst putting it together)
I felt it was pinnacle of stupidity.

Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Rare Earth magnet....
it saved me when the block ate the timing chain at the tensioner end (whilst putting it together)
I felt it was pinnacle of stupidity.
Yep rare earth magnets are great! I did the same stupid thing with my chain.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad you've recovered your chains, here's hoping I can recover my key too - to this end, 1x neodymium round magnet with a hole in the centre is on its way from China 馃憤馃榿

1 - 10 of 10 Posts