Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '99 SLK Sport and drove it 1000 miles from Maryland to Florida where I'm stationed. The car mechanically ran like a champ. Since it's a 5-speed it doesn't have cruise control and the car felt like it was just getting started at 80 mph. Thankfully, there were no speeding tickets! I did discover that sports cars are definitely not touring cars and a 15-hour drive in an SLK is brutal. The car has the usual SLK issues, peeling interior paint and windows that go up too far but one problem has been bothering me. There seems to be a problem with the A/C. The cold air blows just fine on the driver's side but it blows HOT on the passenger's side. All of the controls are set to blue but the air is really hot. Not just "not cold" but hot, as if the heat were turned on high.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Stuck DUO valve. Search in the stickies. If you don't find it in this forum, search in the W210 forum stickies. It will be in a different place, but the procedure will be the same.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
No cruise control? Are you sure about that? Mercedes has had cruise control standard from the 70's AFAIK.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG Designo
844 Posts
Another thread on this site gives a good SLK history.

The 5-speed transmission became an option for the '99 year model and was initially unavailable with cruise control. However, it was soon standard on late '99 models.

Specifically, '99 model year 5-speed cars built between 1 Jun 1998 and 19 Oct 1998 did not have cruise control fitted.

Although the SLK is probably not the best car for long distance touring, I've done 3 reasonably long €urotrips in mine. Cruising at 150-180 kph (about 95-115) is fine, but although I took it up to 225 kph (about 140) a couple of times, the uncertain behaviour of other motorists makes it too risky to cruise at that speed for any length of time. Many German autobahns are only 2 lane - and some ambling frau pulling out in front of you without warning can be a constant hazard! There were also miles of autobahn rebuilding in progress the last time I was there - some national reconstruction programme of 'short term pain for long term gain', I gather.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks nickwilcock. I didn't realize I had an early model '99. Does that make it a collector's item? :)

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Learn something new everyday. I was going to post the same info that Nick did about the early five speeds not having cruise control That really surprised me since Mercedes has had cruise control standard on their cars including the manual transmissions from the 70's anyway. You must have one of like three SLK's without cruise. :)

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
I started in Abingdon. I'm liking Florida so far. Today was 80 degrees and I had the top down. :)
My folks live there (just north of Ocala) and FL definitely has it over Maryland (especially the area north of Baltimore), when it comes to top-down driving days. I have a feeling we've seen the last of the top-down days here for awhile (this is where those lucky sods with Air-Scarfs in their pointy R171s have the real edge).:(

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
I did a west coast to east coast and back in mine (L.A., CA to Galveston TX and back), about 5,000 miles!. It's actually not too bad as long as you keep the speed above 80MPH. Below that speed it is a bit bumpy. But yes, 600 miles a day is about the limit before it gets too tiring. But then being able to drop the top makes it worthwhile. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts