Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gig in Omaha the week of May 2, and I'm thinking of driving the SLK from my home near Ann Arbor. It's about 700 miles. I'll make a full two days of it, as I am (a) old, and (b) my back is acting up big time. I've done the run in one day many times, as my family is from there, but it's a killer.

Could fly, of course, but I hate that little plane, and then I won't have my car when I get there. If it's a good trip, it'll be great.

The good news about a group like this one is that we can share in the fun of having a nice car. The bad news is that we hear about everything that can go wrong.

So I'm worried that the door will fall off, that the transmission will stop working, that the car won't start, etc etc.

My Z4 broke down on the road back in 2003. I wrote about that experience at http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/bmwletter.htm BMW made that experience OK, but it's not a test I'd care to run with Mercedes.

We'll see. I figure if I do it, I'll start out Saturday morning. Give the car a chance to develop trouble at home. We'll see.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Sounds like it'll be a great trip, Ron. I did 1200 miles from Vancouver BC to Palm Springs, CA twice in a month in my Honda S2000 and found it an easy and exhilarating drive. I find the SLK seats are a bit more uncomfortable though; not enough support at the base of your spine. You might want to take a small cushion with you, and put a towel over the bottom of the seat so your legs don't stick to the leather.

I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of admiring glances along the way. Don't forget, you've got the wrench and SOS buttons if anything goes wrong. Let's hope you won't need to use them. Have a nice drive, and take care.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy the trip in a sweet ride. How many miles do you have on the car already? Most major new car problems from defects happen early, usually during break-in.

Have some confidence in your $50K car and only call 1-800-367-6372 to let them have it if issues ruin your trip, which I hope won't. [:)]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Less than 500 so far, just got it a week ago last Friday. Doing my best to give it a chance to break. Hope it doesn't!

·
Registered
SLK 350, '04 C 320C
66 Posts
RonJeffries - 4/24/2005 9:04 PM

towel or something is a good idea, i've been thinking it needs a bit more lumbar support. thanks.
Definitely the seats are very uncomfortable for anything but a short drive. Has anyone found any "tricks" for making the seats more "user-friendly" other than those mentioned in this thread? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Carol K - 5/15/2005 11:11 AM

RonJeffries - 4/24/2005 9:04 PM

towel or something is a good idea, i've been thinking it needs a bit more lumbar support. thanks.
Definitely the seats are very uncomfortable for anything but a short drive. Has anyone found any "tricks" for making the seats more "user-friendly" other than those mentioned in this thread? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Keep trying. The manual controls are not very good but you can get comfortable if you keep trying. My wife and I drove 300 miles and did not have a problem. (But that's not 700 I know)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ron -

Hope your Omaha trip was (pleasantly) uneventful. My wife and I are leaving this weekend, driving the SLK (Capri Blue/Beige, BTW) from Ann Arbor to Halifax, Nova Scotia. We'll see just how comfortable -- or otherwise -- it is for long distance travel.

We chose the SLK over the Boxster, which had been our first choice, because it seemed a better choice for touring. As others have mentioned, though, we've both found the seats, especially the passenger side, lacking in support at the base of the spine. My wife made a couple of small pillows to address that, and they seem to work well. With a bit of judicious packing, we hope to have a good trip.

I'll attempt to attach an image of our SLK here -- wave if you see us around town.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
Happy Trails, Wing.
My wife made a couple of small pillows
If they work really well, you could post pics of them too. Maybe she can make some with...hmmmm.."SLK350" or "SLK55 ////AMG" stitched in????

Sound good to anyone else?????

Lookin' forward to yer pics.

Cheers!

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wingnut - 5/16/2005 9:36 PM

Hope your Omaha trip was (pleasantly) uneventful. My wife and I are leaving this weekend, driving the SLK (Capri Blue/Beige, BTW) from Ann Arbor to Halifax, Nova Scotia. We'll see just how comfortable -- or otherwise -- it is for long distance travel.

We chose the SLK over the Boxster, which had been our first choice, because it seemed a better choice for touring. As others have mentioned, though, we've both found the seats, especially the passenger side, lacking in support at the base of the spine. My wife made a couple of small pillows to address that, and they seem to work well. With a bit of judicious packing, we hope to have a good trip.

I'll attempt to attach an image of our SLK here -- wave if you see us around town.

Jim
Jim: The trip was good. I did find that a paperback novel was useful as a lumbar support along the way. Did the 700 miles from Pinckney to Omaha in two steps on the way out, one run on the way back. Car behaved just fine except for a deplorable tendency to move into people on the right. I adjusted the mirrors a lot and there seems to be a blind spot no matter what I do. Might have to get one of those little round ones or something ... [:)]

I find the car more a touring machine than my Z4 was, but the wife, I think, likes it less. I'd think she'd like the way I drive the SLK more, since she doesn't have to push on the floor so hard to try to make me slow down.

I agree with one of the other posters that if there is a business opportunity with those pillows.

I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm around A2, which is often. I haven't seen another SLK on the road there yet. I'm firemist/beige, plate is 3M3RTX3.

Take care ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts