Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just noticed a trim piece gone from my 85 460 SWB. Must have gotten torn off while out wheeling. I was about to call NM (ugh) but I noticed that it looks like all Gs have a similar piece. It protects the vents behind the rear windows (see pic of MBUSA G500).

On mine, it looks like it just pops into some fasteners in the body. Does anybody know if the ones from the later (MBUSA) Gs are the same part as the early 460s? If so, I'll try to get one from the MB dealer in Phoenix.

Thanks,

Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I can check EPC for you if I remember later tonight. Or, you can go by the dealer and have them look up the part. If it comes up as a 460 number, then it'll definitely fit. Of course, a new 463 part may only be different in an insignificant way.

You have to remove the interior trim to change it and there are 3 or 4 little metal disks that push on to pins protruding from the back of the plastic part (probably need to obtain some of those somewhere too). You also need to re-connect the rubber drain hose that drains water down and out the bottom of the body. It's a bit fiddly, but could be done in half an hour or so.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Not the Same

cashieu - 4/5/2005 12:01 PM

Hi guys,

I just noticed a trim piece gone from my 85 460 SWB. Must have gotten torn off while out wheeling. I was about to call NM (ugh) but I noticed that it looks like all Gs have a similar piece. It protects the vents behind the rear windows (see pic of MBUSA G500).

On mine, it looks like it just pops into some fasteners in the body. Does anybody know if the ones from the later (MBUSA) Gs are the same part as the early 460s? If so, I'll try to get one from the MB dealer in Phoenix.

Thanks,

Bruce
Your P/N is: A.460.698.00.89. If it's the exterior plastic cover or trim piece that's missing, it's held in place by 2 or 3 small plastic tits that friction slide into the holes in the under piece. Replacement of the exterior piece is simply a matter of pushing the broken off platic tits through the friction catches and sliding the new part into the friction holes.

The 463 part is different. Its P/N is A.463.690.01.79; and it won't fit your truck.

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave. If you get a chance to look up the part number it would be very much appreciated. The MB dealer in Phx is quite unhelpful when it comes to 460 stuff. They just say - you have to go to NM. One good thing, if the part is the same, perhaps it tends to hold the price down at Europa due to the availability. It would be nice to just get it locally if I can.

Sounds like you have done it before! With the part gone and looking as best I can at the remaining one on the other side, I can see 3-4 little "grommet" looking plastic circles that must be the remains of the metal disks you refer to. Looks like there are black plastic pieces behind the sheetmetal that I assume are manifolds for the air intake. Its a little hard to picture how it all goes together, but as you say, I'm sure I can figure it out once I get the parts and get after it. I was hoping I would be able to just push the pins into those round plastic "grommets" I see without removing the interior trim, but I understand from your note that is probably not possible.

Thanks again Dave.

Bruce

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dutch

DUTCH - 4/5/2005 12:47 PM

Your P/N is: A.460.698.00.89. If it's the exterior plastic cover or trim piece that's missing, it's held in place by 2 or 3 small plastic tits that friction slide into the holes in the under piece. Replacement of the exterior piece is simply a matter of pushing the broken off platic tits through the friction catches and sliding the new part into the friction holes.

The 463 part is different. Its P/N is A.463.690.01.79; and it won't fit your truck.

Dutch,

Thanks so much for the info. If you read my note to Dave (written before I saw yours) I was hoping that the installation was just a matter of pushing in the tits as you say. Using your part number, I checked that site for the Euro price - reasonable at $8.8 Euros or about $12.00 so I suspect $15-$18 plus shipping from Europa. Not bad.

Just out of curiousity, do you have any idea what the difference is with the 463 part? Without having them side-by-side, they look the same in pics of G500s.

Thanks again (and for teaching me how to post the pic so I could show what I was looking for!).

Bruce

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
RE: Thanks Dave

cashieu - 4/5/2005 2:55 PM
....Sounds like you have done it before! ...
That's one of the parts that got replaced when the Dodge pickup hit me a couple years ago. My description of the parts is based on memory of that occaision. The guys at Europa will be able to help with the right parts for your truck. Being a later model, it might be different from mine, and more like Dutch's description, since his was a later truck.

All the best,

-Dave G.

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dutch - RE: Not the Same

Dutch,

Thanks again for the part numbers. Do you happen to know what the difference is? I wonder if it would be worth it (for futures) to convert to the new style?

Bruce

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
RE: Dutch - RE: Not the Same

cashieu - 4/6/2005 10:59 AM

Dutch,

Thanks again for the part numbers. Do you happen to know what the difference is? I wonder if it would be worth it (for futures) to convert to the new style?

Bruce
I don't know the difference, but my guess is that you'd have to replace the entire fixture - innards and all. It's probably cheaper to stick with the old part.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
463 part can be used for 460
460 part can be used for 463 after removing the two center pins (463 uses only top and bottom)

Harald

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jThanks Harald!

4x4abc - 4/6/2005 3:43 PM

463 part can be used for 460
460 part can be used for 463 after removing the two center pins (463 uses only top and bottom)

Harald
Thanks Harald! I'll see if the MB dealer in Phx has the 463 part.

Bruce

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
I have some old ones that look great but all the pins are messed up...some there, some not. You can have 'em if you wish. I could send them down with the getrag..
Cheers
Peter
Bruce, I have a friend heading your way within a few weeks. I hope he can take the 5 speed Getrag, he has a home in Flagstaff and is a Canadian car nut!! should work out... I mean why pay for shipping a potentialy useless item that is free anyway. My junk is hopefully your gold in this case!

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks Peter!

Hi Peter,

Wow, that's wonderful! Just let me know about when and I'll make sure we can find each other.

If you would throw in a couple of your broken trim pieces, perhaps I can figure out a way to attach them without the little plastic tits. The more I look at those things, the more it seems like a poor design. They stick out just enough to get hit by tree branches and those little plastic tits are just not secure enough. Perhaps a rivit or screw or something would work.

You should come to Flagstaff with your buddy!

Best regards,

Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts