Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500 sec
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys really helped me out with my last problem, so here is another. I purchased my 1984 500sec euro without a radio. Bandits stole it and the former owner never bothered to replace it. I got an aftermarket radio for it today. First, I can't seem to hook it up correctly, even given the answers here. I got frustrated and figured, "who needs a radio.". I put my aftermarket one in the hole. However, now, every time I open the door or turn on the car all of the lights start flashing! They keep going as long as the car is on and after its off. There is no sound, just a bunch of flashing head, tail and interior lights. I assume it's an alarm, but how the heck do I turn it off?

And, if someone out there can tell me how to hook up a radio, it would be great. I've got a red, grey and red, blue and brown wires. I can't get power to the head unit at all.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I can help you. Pm me again with pics and questions.

·
Registered
1984 300 Sd
41 Posts
If you have a problem, Crutchfield has a harness for latemodel radio systems to connect older mercedes. I used theirs and had no problems-you dont have to have purchased Radio from them-their teck help is grt.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I think we got it sorted.

·
Registered
1987 W201 190E 2.6
179 Posts
The radio problem may be solved but you still have an alarm wiring issue. Since you say that the problem started after you inserted the radio in the hole, I`d be looking at wires that seem non-original and are piggy backing off of the original ones and are somehow making contact and powering the alarm unit.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I think we fixed this privately. No?

·
Registered
1984 500 sec
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He certainly gave me some help on it. However, it was mostly me being an idiot and not checking the easiest thing first... Blown fuse. Blows every now and then still. Now my biggest problem is that I hear a slight rattle from the front of the engine. Figure it's the chain or the guides so the car is parked until I decide if I have the courage to do it myself or if I can raise the money to have someone do it. My guess is that the chain and guides have never been done, since the car has like 120k on it. It's a euro spec car, and I am in Lexington ky. There is a shop that can do it I am pretty sure, but it scares me to think of the cost.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I think we fixed this privately. No?
For the benefit of all forum members who may run into the same problem in the future, do you think it might benefit the forum better if problems were solved in the open on the forum, or solving them via pm or phone and not posting a follow up on how the issue was resolved?

I would think that not publishing the fix to the problem it would no longer be an open forum to discuss issues, but it would rather become a closed, non-sharing, "gotta know the right people to benefit from this fine forum". Plus the original poster with the issue may have been solved prior by someone else just the week before and a simple answer can be given right away, or even multiple replies may be had for the original poster. By saying you solved it privately, you shut down all future responses that might be given.

Please post how you resolved the issue so that everyone may benefit.

·
Registered
1984 500 sec
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The solution to the problem was changing the fuse. I had the wiring right all along. The flashing lights repaired themselves when I changed the fuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts