101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
View attachment 2618156

Its just a set of downpipes for 350 Euro plus shipping
This sounds like the least expensive option of shipping is not insane. I wonder what a local shop would charge. I will again risk the disappearance of another good deal while waiting on this Russian situation. If I end up with no LHD manifolds, then there’s no reason for LHD downpipes. It sounds like I’m in a bit of a waiting game. I’ve got no address for the return of the RHD set yet. So they sit boxed up, ready to go. Oh. That reminds me, I need to get dimensions and weight on them.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,160 Posts
Fonzi you have WAY more patience with that foreign guy than I ever would. Get rid of him. Just my two cents.

If you get something crafted this Spring or Summer I am 100% going to make sure to drive up and check it out. I need an excuse to drive up to Jersey and see some friends so there it is.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
agree drop this guy he had his chance. if you feel bad about the $ send to charity

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
I will have to file a second PayPal case against him, and will only have one shot. I’ve got his RHD tri-y for which I already got my original payment refunded. I was out $0.00 when the RHD manifolds arrived. I sent a second payment that he claims was a misunderstanding, him saying it was for the RHD tri-y, and me putting in a note on the payment saying exactly what LHD casting numbers I’m expecting to receive. He could fulfill that by just sending me the front two pipes, and me sending the RHD front two back. Shipping them all back to Russia isn’t cheap. I haven’t checked DHL yet, but figure when I send them back, I’m opening a PayPal case for the LHD payment I sent.

So I sit patiently waiting for the seller’s proposal. His email is [email protected] It sounds familiar. I hope this isn’t the period of time where he’s trying to shut down his PayPal account or something. The guy seems to be reputable and has a bunch of parts. I’m not sure if he’s a junkyard hunter or what. Telling me the RHD pipes were LHD and then shipping them to the US was a pretty big mistake though. You better know what you’ve got if you are telling people you know what you’ve got.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
i cant follow this anymore...too mindboggling...ill be waiting for your new thread with the parts installed..good luck

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
i cant follow this anymore...too mindboggling...ill be waiting for your new thread with the parts installed..good luck
Thanks. Yes, painful to follow I’m sure. I never expected this thread to turn into anything at all beyond the second day when we found out that Timevalve can provide downpipes. I considered thread issue “solved” at that point. I hijacked my own thread beyond that.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,163 Posts
A whike ago I oosted I was finished installing Tri y’s. Not teally true since I knew I had to go back under and fit those double hump transmission brackets. To do so I had to loosen the down pipes from the manifold. Unfortunately Tri Y’s do not have those nuts to connect the downpipes like the euro manifolds do. You know the ones that are kinda pressed into the manifolds. Instead tri y’s use atypical nut bolt configuration. Pain in the ass!!! If you are by yourself you are trying to get a nut started all while the bolt is turning and you have no room for fat fingers. So a suggestion. If any of you are doing this simply put the bolts in the manifold from the top and lightly spot weld the bolts to the manifold. The only down side is is you ever take them off you could snap the bolt, where then you have to remove that section of the manifold. Likely hood of that happening pretty nil.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,781 Posts
@Teutone , didn't you have some insight into this? I'm sure I remember you saying they may even fit M116?
Better late than never.
That was the light bulb moment when we realized the Euro logs could be taken apart in the middle at the expansion section (same with US logs), and that the front halves of US and Euro logs are identical / the same.
So to reiterate, to change US logs to Euro logs, only the rear halves are needed.

Like Fonzi I have the early TRY-Y for W108/9 450SE, W116 4.5 L, and R107 ,(pass side only), and actually measured all ports with my digital caliper. If i remember correctly, for the W126 logs the 420 and 500 / 560 had same size ports, even when compared with the TRY-Y R107 side I have.
The 108/9 & 116 .4.5 L were within 2 mm or so.i think.

I wrote all measurements down, and will add when I find them.
Cheers

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,292 Posts
A whike ago I oosted I was finished installing Tri y’s. Not teally true since I knew I had to go back under and fit those double hump transmission brackets. To do so I had to loosen the down pipes from the manifold. Unfortunately Tri Y’s do not have those nuts to connect the downpipes like the euro manifolds do. You know the ones that are kinda pressed into the manifolds. Instead tri y’s use atypical nut bolt configuration.

When I received my Tri-Ys & downpipes package, included was all the gasketry & hardware to attach them to the to the engine. Included were eight special copper plated manifold nuts for the manifold > downpipe connection.

I am currently away from my computer so unable to look up & share the part number just now.

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
505 Posts
When I received my Tri-Ys & downpipes package, included was all the gasketry & hardware to attach them to the to the engine. Included were eight special copper plated manifold nuts for the manifold > downpipe connection.

I am currently away from my computer so unable to look up & share the part number just now.

M.
Malcolm, are these the same nuts as in the double-u downpipe bracket hardware kit?

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
505 Posts
A whike ago I oosted I was finished installing Tri y’s. Not teally true since I knew I had to go back under and fit those double hump transmission brackets. To do so I had to loosen the down pipes from the manifold. Unfortunately Tri Y’s do not have those nuts to connect the downpipes like the euro manifolds do. You know the ones that are kinda pressed into the manifolds. Instead tri y’s use atypical nut bolt configuration. Pain in the ass!!! If you are by yourself you are trying to get a nut started all while the bolt is turning and you have no room for fat fingers. So a suggestion. If any of you are doing this simply put the bolts in the manifold from the top and lightly spot weld the bolts to the manifold. The only down side is is you ever take them off you could snap the bolt, where then you have to remove that section of the manifold. Likely hood of that happening pretty nil.
Is there a special tool/wrench with an angled end that could be used to hold the bolts while you're turning the nut? Also, is a loctite-type adhesive used in these situations?

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,163 Posts
Well, according to Malcolm, the nuts are the ones like on the Euro logs that basically fit into the manifolds and lock themselves in place. That is 1/2 the battle. When I ordered mine, what came in was simple copper nuts, so I assumed they were correct. Either way, one should find a way to secure the nuts....... Ok, no funny comments

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, according to Malcolm, the nuts are the ones like on the Euro logs that basically fit into the manifolds and lock themselves in place. That is 1/2 the battle. When I ordered mine, what came in was simple copper nuts, so I assumed they were correct. Either way, one should find a way to secure the nuts....... Ok, no funny comments
Are these the standard parts whether is Euro/Tri-Y or U.S. market? With my engine rebuild/swap imminent, my idies have 20-30 years Mercedes/dealership experience, but not very familiar with Euro market-only parts. Just wondering if they'll come up on the online catalog when they're ordering parts.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts