Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m waiting on a shipment of tri-y from Russia to get out of customs in Russia with the USPS. It’s been there nearly 2 months now. They might never show up, but I won’t have down pipes if they do show up. Reading another thread here has me wondering how to go about getting down pipes if my tri-y do arrive.

Can I buy an off-the-shelf product?

If I’ve got a friend who really knows my welder well, and CAN probably fabricate an exhaust, should I ask him to build them for me for a few bucks? He has repaired stainless exhaust systems for me, but I’ve never asked him to fav something new up for me.

Should I just go to an exhaust / muffler shop for a custom build?

Thanks in advance for any advice. And sorry to waste time if mine never even show up.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,187 Posts
who did u buy them from in russia

if u have someone who can mock up custom ones do that

otherwise DW cali is selling a set of his

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
who did u buy them from in russia

if u have someone who can mock up custom ones do that

otherwise DW cali is selling a set of his
@Meedmed123 is a Russian user that has only a few posts, but looks reputable from other things I found on the web. The price was right too, and I purchased with PayPal buyer protection. So I wasn’t too worried. Then PayPal irritated me by charging me a fee when someone sent me money without my request, and I refunded it. I figured if PayPal is into screwing people, then I better make sure I’m not on the wrong end of the tri-y transaction that is lingering. I filed a case a few days before Xmas, and it looks like they sent me all my money back before New Years. The package shows as handed over from Russian Post to USPS in Russia on November 13. I am still able to track the package on both Russian Post and USPS, but there’s been no action since November 13. I think Meedmed123 got screwed on this, but he is the one who chose the shipping method, not me. For all I know, customs x-rayed the package and figured it was a pipe bomb and blew it up.

Anyway, I promised to send the money once again if the package does show up. And if it does, I will need to figure out the tri-y down pipes.

Is @D&WCali selling tri-y downpipes only? Or manifolds and downpipes?

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,753 Posts
I have a set of tri-y's and aftermarket downpipes along with ALL new MB hardware to install. Three of the four tri-y pieces are NOS and the fourth is used. The DP's are heavy quality pieces from Europe. I have not tried to install this set. Would not be cheap to pry away from me. The hardware alone from MB was nearly $200 (gaskets to the heads, all the correct nuts'bolts). PM me if interested.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,192 Posts
Buying my set from Al was absolutely the best experience.

He suggested to send the manifolds to Swaintech for coating, they then trans-shipped to me.
The bag of all new MB hardware to attach the manifolds & downpipes was the icing on the cake/value-added! Thank you Al.

It was 'plug 'n play' really.

MBL

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize that I have lots to add, but @Meedmed123 offered the manifolds for $500 plus $100 shipping and (after a friend who could have probably used them sooner than me declined to purchase ahead of me) I decided to jump on them. It might be a scenario of “easy come, easy go” if they never arrive.

With all the above info about full sets that might be available, does anyone have suggestions about what is the ideal scenario if I just need the downpipes?

Thanks!

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s interesting that Timevalve pictures the tri-y pipes for 1986+ w126 but doesn’t offer them. They do offer downpipes for euro logs on 1980-85 models on their site too. Interesting.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which of your cars are you doing this for?
500se is the intended vehicle that I plan to continue to mod. Honestly I would like to just sell all the others that don’t get parted out. No plans to part any v8 either.

The “smoke silver” (gold) 500sel AMG is another candidate being what I believe is the fastest of my w126 “out of the gate”, and the best condition overall. But the 500se does “speak to me” a bit more. The 500sec currently has cats, and perhaps I would move the front of the exhaust from one car to the 500sec, for a win win.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I could have done this before starting the thread, but Timevalve said they do the for $287/side. So I guess it’s a “double down” on that original price I paid for manifolds.

If anyone stumbles upon down pipes for less, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,137 Posts
Excellent. That 500 SE can be made right and considering how few of them there are it is the perfect Benz for you to concentrate on. If you ever get it finished it would look sensational and be a joy to own. I know that I shall be jealous! :)

You should get in there and deal with the rust issues now before they spread any further. Just my 2 cents. I hope to get up your way this Spring or Summer and will want to have a look.

There is so much I want to do with my SEC, but much of it is buckoo buckeroonies. Besides the not all that expensive rear Euro bumper I need I will also have to acquire Euro headlamps (almost snagged a pair but they had a large crack that I just couldn't bring myself to accept), want to eventually go Tr-Y's with a custom exhaust and of course I need a great deal of paint correction and expert detailing to make it truly shine. It all adds up! Not to mention a custom sound system, good front & rear dash cams and so much more. What's nice is that they are wants and not actual needs. The SEC looks great, never fails to turn heads and drives well. Love it!!

You will love that 500 SE. Do some of the needed work so that you can get her on the road!!

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent. That 500 SE can be made right and considering how few of them there are it is the perfect Benz for you to concentrate on. If you ever get it finished it would look sensational and be a joy to own. I know that I shall be jealous! :)

You should get in there and deal with the rust issues now before they spread any further. Just my 2 cents. I hope to get up your way this Spring or Summer and will want to have a look.

You will love that 500 SE. Do some of the needed work so that you can get her on the road!!
Rust? I think you must be thinking of a different car.

The 500se is roadworthy and I’d actually lent it to a friend to deliver pizza in it to shake it down a bit. It has some serious dash wood issues, and the front seats are kind of horrible. I’ve got like 4 extra sets of black leather front seats for it now including two sets of gen2 seats, and then finally some Recaro orthopads in black which are what I anticipate using. Got the front lip from @slowandrusty , and the rear lip from my 500sec. I think the 500sec might be what you are thinking of with rust issues. There not really any rust to speak of that is any concern on the 500se. It’s a slightly sun baked car though with a cracked dash and the window sweeps are all cracked. That’s one of the greatest issues with the 500se. The paint is all good with the exception of the sunroof which has clearcoat failure. I figure that’s an easy fix by just pulling out the sunroof panel. The 500se is the one I want to enhance. The others I plan to sell without modification. Maybe I will fix the rust on the 500sec. The 500sel is completely rust free. My 300se is also completely rust free. Wish I could say the same for my 4 speed 280se cars and my 5-speed 300sel.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,137 Posts
No rust. Okay, I am confusing it with one of your other 260 cars. ;) Likely the SEC. Sun baking sucks, but you can fix all that. Get the rubber NOW before it's impossible to find. A dash will be tough to source, but it is doable.

Your issue is you need to clone yourself so you can get started!!

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
479 Posts
I guess I could have done this before starting the thread, but Timevalve said they do the for $287/side. So I guess it’s a “double down” on that original price I paid for manifolds.

If anyone stumbles upon down pipes for less, please let me know.

Thanks!
Sounds like a fair market price for the downpipes compared to ones that sometimes become available.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,192 Posts
In round numbers then, we are speaking of roughly $600/pair ,, + shipping just for proper downpipes

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kids hitting the ages that matter and being a good dad trump any kind of car work. I just need to sell off enough stuff to cover the rent for my storage and deferred interest purchases on PayPal. I’d been doing that well up until a few months ago when I moved everything to the farm to mostly forget about car progress (besides the few I haven’t moved there yet).

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In round numbers then, we are speaking of roughly $600/pair ,, + shipping just for proper downpipes
I’m not sure what Timevalve charges for shipping, but I’m going to guess it should be closer to $600 total for the downpipes. The address on their website is Florida (despite previously me thinking they were in the UK).

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,031 Posts
TBH I think op would be better off having a good muffler shop fab them. I can’t see them costing $600.

·
Registered
1988 560 sec
679 Posts
I installed a set of time valve tri y downpipes and have been very happy with them , they are made of a thick gauge of stainless steel and will last a lifetime.

They also make a cat delete crossover pipe that fits between the down pipes and the stock resonators that i also installed. Again made of stainless and will last a life time. Best of luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed a set of time valve tri y downpipes and have been very happy with them , they are made of a thick gauge of stainless steel and will last a lifetime.

They also make a cat delete crossover pipe that fits between the down pipes and the stock resonators that i also installed. Again made of stainless and will last a life time. Best of luck
Who did them? Cost?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts