Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow.
Faster than the SLK350, the SLK320 CDI is quite a ride.

Three turbochargers in the SLK-Class

The SLK 320 CDI tri-turbo is based on the new V6 diesel engine, which achieves new levels of performance thanks to a two-stage supercharging system. It consists of three turbochargers, of which two are located on the outside next to the cylinder banks while the larger third turbocharger is situated between the V of the cylinders. At low engine speeds and loads, air flows through all three turbochargers (i.e., large and small), with the small turbochargers doing most of the work. When engine speed increases and the flow is continuous, the large turbocharger takes over supplying the greatest share of the charge pressure and the smaller turbochargers are turned off by means of a bypass system. At high engine speeds and loads, only the large turbocharger is running. Performance is further heightened as a result of an enlarged intercooler and larger pipe diameters for the charge air and the exhaust.
Here is the link:
http://www.cwwcardesign.com/mercedes_slk320_cdi.html

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Hmmm I wonder what it sounds like when you floor it.

I have never been a fan of Diesels myself, shows how much they have moved on recently though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You'd be surprised how quiet and refined that engine is. See:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=8213&page_number=1

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
SLK 320 CDI have 3 turbo ! and if Mercedes will offer this car, then SLK320 CDI kick ass SLK350

SLK55 AMG have 360hp and 510Nm
SLK320CDI have 210 kW/286 hp and 630 Nm

diesel have 120Nm more [:0]then AMG heheheehe [:eek:)]
so SLK55 AMG owners be careful

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
Gatecrash - 3/1/2005 3:26 PM

SLK 320 CDI have 3 turbo ! and if Mercedes will offer this car, then SLK320 CDI kick ass SLK350

SLK55 AMG have 360hp and 510Nm
SLK320CDI have 210 kW/286 hp and 630 Nm

diesel have 120Nm more [:0]then AMG heheheehe [:eek:)]
so SLK55 AMG owners be careful
I'm shaking in my boots...not. Bring it on![^]

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
A lot of nonsense is talked about performance diesels. Yes they are fast, but they are also unsatisfying. The short power band and flat torque curve do not provide the same driver satisfaction as a smooth high revving six or eight cylinder petrol engine, and being heavier, they generally affect the handling balance of the car. If you have to have a diesel, then I'm sure it won't be slow, but so what? I'd take the 350 even if it was slower. And that's still 'if' at the moment.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Audi make a diesel conv very sort after.
I,m interested in the slk 320 cdi its got loads of grunt and economical as well bring it on.

gary

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Considering the great top down experience of the SLK, I wouldn't be into getting a wiff of that diesel fuel smell with the top & windows down. [:(]

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am not quite sure you are right in your generalization about dieselengines when it comes to this one.

Take a look what Mercedes-Benz are writing in their press release:
"Sporting a modified tachometer with a red zone extending from 4,500 to 5,000 rpm and the self-confident appearance of the SLK 55 AMG, the vehicle is a proud member of the Mercedes-Benz diesel family. The new engine gives the roadster an impressive boost and allows it to perform prodigious feats: It takes the car but 5.3 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h, and it can travel a distance of 1,000 metres in just 24.4 seconds from a standing start. The top speed is meanwhile electronically limited to 250 km/h. With this kind of performance, the SLK 320 CDI tri-turbo has a unique standing even among thoroughbred sports cars. And fuel economy is just as impressive, since, despite the incredible driving performance, the diesel roadster consumes only 7.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (NEDC overall consumption)."

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sounds like you need to try the Honda S2000

steve-p - 3/1/2005 5:31 PM

A lot of nonsense is talked about performance diesels. Yes they are fast, but they are also unsatisfying. The short power band and flat torque curve do not provide the same driver satisfaction as a smooth high revving six or eight cylinder petrol engine, and being heavier, they generally affect the handling balance of the car.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
14 Posts
the new breed of mercedes diesels is quite amazing. I drive an e320 cdi, and unless you put you nose in the tail pipe, you dont smell the diesel. I get on average 20 to 30mpg on mostly city driving.

the engine is a bit louder at a standstill, but once you get going, you don't even notice.

also, starting with the bluetec diesel sedans that came on in 06 or 07, mercedes moved to a V6 aluminum block instead of the inline 6 cast iron block of its predecessor. so you guys should really quit generalizing diesels, because they really have come a long way

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
The comments that you refer to were made over two years ago. (Don't these old threads ever die?). Todays diesels have made a lot of progress since then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts