Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1987 560sel AMG: Custom Suspension, AMG Body Kit, EURO Mods, Diplomat MB Curtains
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
Ive come into sum money recently, and have always thought of replacing my auto trans with a 5 or 6 speed manual:bowdown:. Ive researched tremec, and it seems to me atleast, that the gear/drive ratio required would not really work to well for a m117 application. Or am I wrong?

So...

What company makes the best manual for a 560/m117.

While I started this thread, I mine as well ask this as well.

What aftermarket company makes the best "rear end" for a 560/M117....and please dont tell me it's Gleason.....:crybaby2:

(leans back and rubs hands together)
Der Bomber

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Hello everyone,
Ive come into sum money recently, and have always thought of replacing my auto trans with a 5 or 6 speed manual:bowdown:. Ive researched tremec, and it seems to me atleast, that the gear/drive ratio required would not really work to well for a m117 application. Or am I wrong?

So...

Only the 6 cylinder euro-spec w126ers, such as this one I have seen in Barry Taylor's warehouse, were available with manual transmissions (4- speeds) and the 260 and 280 six cylinder engines that had them usually were most usually fitted to low level of kit" manual crank windows and so on.

This was a nice car, a 280SE AMG at Barry's though it hasn't been run regularly since 2002-2003 so it'd need a lot of work to become streetworthy again.

I think a threshold problem would be proper placement of pedals even if you could source a set at all. You won't find these in junkyards. I think anything is often possible with these cars if you throw enough money at them but if you want to convert to a 5 speed or 6 speed transmission it will be impossible to do on a budget

Though I do know of Nik's 1984 300SD that he's converted to a manual transmission, though I have not driven the car since he did it. Seen with the fake Lorinser's on it that I used to have on my coupe:

He got the pedals from a manual transmission w123 diesel sedan and bent them as needed to make them work. he has promised to loan it to me one of these days but first the suspension issues on the car need to be sorted.

What aftermarket company makes the best "rear end" for a 560/M117....and please dont tell me it's Gleason.....:crybaby2:

Der Bomber
I wouldn't put an aftermarket rear end in one of these cars, and don't even know who has one to fit.

(Besides AMG - but those are Gleason Torsens and less xturdy than the Mercedes Benz units.)

When I personally changed out the lazy 2.47 US rear end I felt the best driveability for all reasons would be found in either a 2.65 (AMG's mildest upgrade btw) or the 2.82 and Jono sold me one that he had, for $800 and I love the added oomph but no drone above 70 mph. It also made the speedometer read 8-10 mph faster...

I'd avoid the 3.07 and up, you get a lot of stoplight wins but the cork is all the way out the bottle at highe speeds. it is simply a trade off and you need to pick the right one.

If you EVER decide the car needs to be sold later on, chances are slim to nothing you will ever get a dime back for mods like this, and actually could lose even more with such modifications, but good luck, in what you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
Hello everyone,

So...

Der Bomber
have a nice read...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1270629-m117-manual-transmission.html

·
Banned
1987 560sel AMG: Custom Suspension, AMG Body Kit, EURO Mods, Diplomat MB Curtains
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only the 6 cylinder euro-spec w126ers, such as this one I have seen in Barry Taylor's warehouse, were available with manual transmissions (4- speeds) and the 260 and 280 six cylinder engines that had them usually were most usually fitted to low level of kit" manual crank windows and so on.

This was a nice car, a 280SE AMG at Barry's though it hasn't been run regularly since 2002-2003 so it'd need a lot of work to become streetworthy again.

I think a threshold problem would be proper placement of pedals even if you could source a set at all. You won't find these in junkyards. I think anything is often possible with these cars if you throw enough money at them but if you want to convert to a 5 speed or 6 speed transmission it will be impossible to do on a budget

Though I do know of Nik's 1984 300SD that he's converted to a manual transmission, though I have not driven the car since he did it. Seen with the fake Lorinser's on it that I used to have on my coupe:

He got the pedals from a manual transmission w123 diesel sedan and bent them as needed to make them work. he has promised to loan it to me one of these days but first the suspension issues on the car need to be sorted.

I wouldn't put an aftermarket rear end in one of these cars, and don't even know who has one to fit.

(Besides AMG - but those are Gleason Torsens and less xturdy than the Mercedes Benz units.)

When I personally changed out the lazy 2.47 US rear end I felt the best driveability for all reasons would be found in either a 2.65 (AMG's mildest upgrade btw) or the 2.82 and Jono sold me one that he had, for $800 and I love the added oomph but no drone above 70 mph. It also made the speedometer read 8-10 mph faster...

I'd avoid the 3.07 and up, you get a lot of stoplight wins but the cork is all the way out the bottle at highe speeds. it is simply a trade off and you need to pick the right one.

If you EVER decide the car needs to be sold later on, chances are slim to nothing you will ever get a dime back for mods like this, and actually could lose even more with such modifications, but good luck, in what you decide to do.
Thanks for the advice, and I enjoy reading your vacation thread....a good read:)

Thanks for your 2 cents,
Der Bomber

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts