Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to sort out some rust patches. Luckily the car is white which seems to be easier to get looking decent than many other colours, also I have the right colour match.

I was wondering about the stages as I have tried various in the past. What I am thinking is: -

1. Remove loose rust and paint with an angle grinder and a wire brush on a drill
2. Kurust (seems to turn the rust black)
3. Zinc primer (from halfords)
4. Filler
5. sand down with wet & dry paper
6. Filler primer (Halfords)
7. sand down
8. Paint
9. Leave for a few weeks then T-cut or similar (I've used the autoglym restorer stuff in the past, seems good)

There seem to be a number of different primers around. Any advice on which are best? Same goes for fillers.

Any advice would be appreciated. As you can see, I'm not exactly a pro!

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,490 Posts
If the rust remains(blackness) but is covered up with putty and primers, you might see rust in the near future.
If possible, cut out all the rust and replace with new metal.
Any remaining hidden areas should be rustproofed with a creeping synthetic grease. Any rustproof coating that dries is practically useless. A black rubber coating will trap humidity and cause more rust.
Good Luck! Derek

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cutting out bad rust is best, but for surface rust you seem to have it pretty well covered.
so long as you get rid of it ALL before priming. Kurust is phosphoric acid and is only useful for protecting bare clean metal from flash rusting before you prime. It won't "kill" old rust if you leave it on the metal. It may also attack adjacent paint.

HTH
Cheers

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
If any of the rust is in a seam, then you have to open or peel back that seam to get at all the rust.
Rust is like an aggressive cancer and very difficult to stop without removing it all.
Let's see some pics of the problem.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,109 Posts
i was told that the chemical components of rust are similer to gun bluing? & ther is a product that turns rust to a non harmful state ? welding does 2 things 1 changes melecular structer of metal making it more prone to rust, depending on what type of mettal in the first place. second burns protective coating & paint around the area, making it a biger target for rust to attack. as stated befor its like a canser & will 99% return. i like to use cold repairs, acid etch primer 3m undercoatin ect.ther is a low voltage system when wired to your car that in theory works, something to concider.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
The low voltage system that you are talking about is useless on car bodies and does not work. Cut the rust out or remove until only clear metal is showing.

Magnet Paints has a silver or black paint that gives great protection against rust.

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know a DIY job will not last forever but it will hopefully keep it at bay for a while. Eventually I think a pro job will be needed. Got to get the wing on the W126 sorted as well but its silver so there is no way I'm gonna touch it, never get a good finish! Need to get a bodyshop to look at that one I think!

·
Registered
06 E350 4-Matic
3 Posts
I have a 2006 E350 4-Matic that I just purchased thru a Canadian dealer who bought from a dealer in the U.S. I'm wondering about rust protection. My understanding is that MB does not rustproof vehicles U.S. bound, but do the Canadian ones. ( got this from a friend who works in warranties at MB) Does anyone have any suggestions for rustproofing in Canada. The dealership tried to sell me the electronic module but I am not sold on it.
Thanks,
P

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
I have a 2006 E350 4-Matic that I just purchased thru a Canadian dealer who bought from a dealer in the U.S. I'm wondering about rust protection. My understanding is that MB does not rustproof vehicles U.S. bound, but do the Canadian ones. ( got this from a friend who works in warranties at MB) Does anyone have any suggestions for rustproofing in Canada. The dealership tried to sell me the electronic module but I am not sold on it.
Thanks,
P
Are you kidding? Almost every single car sold in the US in recent years has had significant rust preventive measures taken at the factory and Mercedes is no exception. How do you explain all the rust free (recently made....not old) vehicles in the Northern US states?

·
Registered
06 E350 4-Matic
3 Posts
Are you kidding? Almost every single car sold in the US in recent years has had significant rust preventive measures taken at the factory and Mercedes is no exception. How do you explain all the rust free (recently made....not old) vehicles in the Northern US states?
My source is the head of Warranties for MB Canada. What's yours? Any concrete info would be appreciated. Do I want to spend more $$ on rustproofing? Of course not. But I am looking at what I need to do. I'm sure the use of non-metal parts is a significant reason to the lessening of rust as well. But I am looking for info here.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
My source is the head of Warranties for MB Canada. What's yours? Any concrete info would be appreciated. Do I want to spend more $$ on rustproofing? Of course not. But I am looking at what I need to do. I'm sure the use of non-metal parts is a significant reason to the lessening of rust as well. But I am looking for info here.
Additional rustproofing will void almost all car makers warranties. It is common knowledge when Mercedes started rust proofing their vehicles (and talked about on this form).

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Trying to collect on a rust warranty is next to impossible.
If anyone here has ever collected please tell us. I know of one person who stood in front of a rust proofing establishment and had his sign :eek:wned: and said he would stay there till hell freezes over and jump up and down until they settled.
The company president came from Toronto and told him "We never pay out...ever. "All he said was" You don't know me, do you?, .... I will stay here forever."(He's had other causes in Montreal that he's known for) They did settle with him.:rotfl:

Not to many of us are willing to do that, are we?
There are a few good rust-proofing companies in the Montreal area.( ie: Crown Rustproofing for one.)
Find a location that removes more pieces and drills less holes in the body.

Ideally, your looking for a hot application of liquid grease that will solidify when cooled and continue creeping into the seams at a slow rate. Go with a rustproofing that's more costly and time consuming to apply.
The $115 quick application's miss a lot of spots and drill too much instead of removing key panels. The cheap applications don't really last.
If you're driving in constant salty conditions (Montreal winters), then that's what you need.
If salt get's into the inner fender seams(and it eventually will), you've got a big problem.
If you plan to keep your Benz for a very long time, then don't let it play in the salt. Get a winter beater instead.:thumbsup:

MB apply a cavity wax on under-body panels and this is an "OK" protection. I just wish that they would have applied it everywhere.(ie: doors, hood, seams, inner frame etc...)Happy hunting!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts