Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks so much for this great forum!

I would like to share a great tip for treating dry leather seats (particularly headrests) that suffer from dry leather and even cracking and stretching sometime splitting the leather and causing stretch creases. I have used this method with great success on many car seats and headrests over the years.
Here we get temperatures of 40 decrees plus in summer and it can do a great deal of harm to our lovely leather seats and interior.

I prefer to use a product called Auto Glym leather Care Balm (see picture) I bought this when I was back in Blighty, but if it is not available in your country you can use other high Quality leather balms.
It is advisable to clean the leather first but this is not always beneficial if the leather is very dry and cracked as cleaners could dry it out even more. You make that call…

Do not apply this treatment in direct sunlight, do it in the shade.
I personally prefer to clean the leather unless it is really in a bad state. I apply the leather by hand and rub it in feeling the hardness of the leather seat and headrest and apply more as appropriate. You can do this by rag or sponge/applicator as you prefer. The leather will absorb this product quite quickly if it is dry, keep applying as necessary be generous in your application.
Once the seat headrest is saturated in the leather balm wrap it in cling film and leave in the shade for at least 24 hours, also cover the seat in cling film as appropriate, especially top corners below the headrests or any other areas they are particularly dry.
Repeat as many times as necessary, until the leather is soft and supple.

Sorry about the dark pictures, I did this in our underground apartment car-park.

Cheers Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No sorry, I meant to but I got carried away...The rear headrests I will unwrap tomorrow as they were particularly dry, if they still are, I will take some more pictures before applying another application.

Cheers Martin

Good info. Do you have any before pics?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave,

A detailer mate of mine put me onto the Auto Glym about 15 years ago, I tried many and this is the best I have used.
I also had some good success with ''after sun'' on a old Xj6, many years ago, but that was just the straight six 4L :)

Hi,

Nice write up and pix.

That is exactly the stuff I have been using for about 30 years now.

I first bought a bottle at Essex County Showground at a Hot Rod and Custom Car show, Autoglym was fairly new out at that time.

I used it on the Blue Leather in my Jaguar XJ V12, it was that good I've never used anything else since :wink

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Auto glym and leaherique are top end leather restoration products not sold in local stores (but can be found online )

Griots meguiars Lexol and Mother’s can be Found in the USA in local stores and do a nice job of maintenance , but not necessarily rejuvenation.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
As I said 5 years ago https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1955281-best-car-interior-smell.html nothing beats Gliptone for a genuine leather smell. I have been using this product in my Jaguars and now Mercedes for many years. There is a picture of the stuff at Post #9 where I say "My Jaguar was used regularly as a wedding car so it was important that it smelt nice and also that it didn't stain a white dress."
Must get some more.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks Dave,

A detailer mate of mine put me onto the Auto Glym about 15 years ago, I tried many and this is the best I have used.
I also had some good success with ''after sun'' on a old Xj6, many years ago, but that was just the straight six 4L :)
Martin do you use the auto glym cleaner? Both are available in the US on Amazon so no issue there. Also what about the seats that have the perforations, like our Ml? Past write ups I have read say be carful on what you use because it can collect and clog the holes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I do use the Auto Glym cleaner. My seats have the perforations in the centre and yes I use the leather balm on them when necessary, I take a little more time and I am a little more frugal with it. I suppose you could use an airline to stop if you wanted, but I have not had any issues. I also used it previously more thanks once on a Toyota with perforated seats also with no issues.

Good luck!
Cheers Martin :)

Martin do you use the auto glym cleaner? Both are available in the US on Amazon so no issue there. Also what about the seats that have the perforations, like our Ml? Past write ups I have read say be carful on what you use because it can collect and clog the holes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks so much for this great forum!

I would like to share a great tip for treating dry leather seats (particularly headrests) that suffer from dry leather and even cracking and stretching sometime splitting the leather and causing stretch creases. I have used this method with great success on many car seats and headrests over the years.
Here we get temperatures of 40 decrees plus in summer and it can do a great deal of harm to our lovely leather seats and interior.

I prefer to use a product called Auto Glym leather Care Balm (see picture) I bought this when I was back in Blighty, but if it is not available in your country you can use other high Quality leather balms.
It is advisable to clean the leather first but this is not always beneficial if the leather is very dry and cracked as cleaners could dry it out even more. You make that call…

Do not apply this treatment in direct sunlight, do it in the shade.
I personally prefer to clean the leather unless it is really in a bad state. I apply the leather by hand and rub it in feeling the hardness of the leather seat and headrest and apply more as appropriate. You can do this by rag or sponge/applicator as you prefer. The leather will absorb this product quite quickly if it is dry, keep applying as necessary be generous in your application.
Once the seat headrest is saturated in the leather balm wrap it in cling film and leave in the shade for at least 24 hours, also cover the seat in cling film as appropriate, especially top corners below the headrests or any other areas they are particularly dry.
Repeat as many times as necessary, until the leather is soft and supple.

Sorry about the dark pictures, I did this in our underground apartment car-park.

Cheers Martin
Amazon carries it

·
Registered
648 Posts
Leather Care

Another, simpler and vastly more affordable method is to use Baby Oil ~ I use it in my Motocycle jacket and any old vehicle with leather upholstery ~ it's not going to fix up damage or faded coors but it will make old crispy leather flexible like a baby's bum .

Try it, you'll be well pleased .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have experience with using paraffin on leather seats. Reason for my asking is a number of years ago my driver cleaned and conditioned my leather seats with something that smells like paraffin or possibly diesel.(smell disappeared after a couple of days and was back to new leather smell)
The results were good and I'd like to know whether this was something off the shelf, or just some homemade concoction he'd made himself. Seats are still in excellent condition some 10 years later and if I could find the same stuff I'd like to use it on another vehicle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used Dubbin on the leather for many years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbin It's relatively cheap, and it's the best thing for leather really. Leather is dead skin, and the oils dry up. We need to replace them. Now for the downsides and upsides of Dubbin ....

It's oily and greasy and that is why it works so well. I even use it on my leather jackets, and shoes before I apply shoe polish over it. It seals the leather well, and leaves it supple and nourished.

You cannot apply it and drive unless you cover it. I prefer not to cover it so that it can sink into the leather and dry naturally. I recommend using Dubbin once a year on all the interior leather bits, and just leave the car for a few days to soak in the oils. Then you simply buff away the remaining surface grease. During the year I use all the other non-greasy leather cleaners like Wynn's Leather Car Care. https://www.wynns.co.za/product/leather-care-creme/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts