Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CLK 550 CAB, AMG-appearance pkg, Premium pkg, Comand Nav, ventilated seats, Keyless-go
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious on what other members are getting as far as milage on rear tires. My wife (a 30 something) drives the car 99% of time and is not one to burn the rubber off the tires, but with that said we are only getting 6 to 9 thousand miles on a set of rear tires.

The first set we had were Bridgestone 760 RE sports. The rears made it 6K miles and were wore to the steal belts. I excussed the poor mileage to the fact they are high performance summer tires. So I called tire rack and discussed some higher milage tire options. I decide to go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS )a 50K mile tire) and they have been wondeful tires...great ride, quite, and great performance. Those (all 4) were put on in March of this year by Mercedes along with a four wheel alignment. I had the car at Mercedes yesterday for a schedule A and the dealer called saying the rear tires needed replaced...after 8K miles. I was blown away...the dealer checked the aligment and it is spot on. The insides are wearing slightly faster then the outside of the tires by 1 to 2 MM. Which makes sense due the negitive aligment spec used on most german cars to help improve handling.

So is this normal wear for rear tires for this car?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
So is this normal wear for rear tires for this car?

That's terrible. But from other posts on this forum, I've learned that the CLK is known as a tire-eater.

I was used to getting 30k - 40k miles from my tires when I had a Toyota Celica, and I drive & brake with a light right foot. Now with my small-engined CLK that I bought in 2006, I'm getting about 20k miles from a set of tires and always on Conti 3. I think that is more typical.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
I just put Michelin Primacy on mine. They are 40K mile warranted, but only 20k when not rotated (due to staggered widths). We shall see. My last tires were Pirelli P-Zeros and the lasted about 15K.

·
Registered
2009 CLK 550 CAB, AMG-appearance pkg, Premium pkg, Comand Nav, ventilated seats, Keyless-go
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running the recommend tire pressure from the door sticker...36 front 41 rears...wonder if I drop a little pressure out of the rears if that would help. What pressures are you guys running?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
49 Posts
The reason for the low tread life on the CLK's is the ESP suspension. When the system is on there is always a force on the suspension leveling out the chassis and making for an improved ride. You can turn the system off for longer tread life. But that defeats the purpose of owning a Mercedes with the added features.

There are General Tires on the car now. The Generals worked well in Rain and in the Dry. They were very impressive for the cost. The wear was good and the tires have a very updated tread pattern.

I guess I need to dust my dash!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
49 Posts
Another reason for the excessive tire wear on the rear is your car's rear end has a limited slip action. When you accelerate in a turn your tires spin at the same rate which causes the tire on the inside and scrub the pavement.

My car of a different brand has a Limited Slip Transaxle and I have the same problem with the rear tires. I am planning to get a second gear box with an opened rear end (non limited slip).

What can help is getting the tire with the hardest compound possible. I got AVON's for the car and it helped. I tried to get a set for the Mercedes but they were no longer selling in the USA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason for the low tread life on the CLK's is the ESP suspension. When the system is on there is always a force on the suspension leveling out the chassis and making for an improved ride. You can turn the system off for longer tread life. But that defeats the purpose of owning a Mercedes with the added features.

Interesting...I thought the ESP monitored tire slip, throttle position, yaw rate and steering angle then applied brake to any wheel to keep the car from over or understeering. I did not know it was tied to the chassis or suspension. I have seen the EPS unit you sent a photo of and saw it was tied into the ABS system. I need to check this out, because if turning it off equal significantly better tire wear....that is one function that I will gladly turn off.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
ESP won't affect tire life. In fact, it will extend it since it's the traction and stability control that will limit wheelspin. It will, however, shorten brake life if you drive aggressively and often see the yellow triangle flashing on your instrument cluster.

LSD will shorten tire life, but only the Black Series CLK has that so it's not a factor in this case.

What will eat the rear tires on a CLK V8 is a combination of tread width and engine torque. The wider the tire, the more scrubbing occurs on the tread as you go through curves. Also, with the power of the V8, it can be difficult to start rolling without some tire slippage. Even on fairly gentle accelerations, especially when accelerating into a turn, the tire can slightly lose traction and shed a little tread on the road. The best way to prevent this is to use Comfort mode on the gear selector to start in 2nd, and be mindful of starting out in a sharp turn.

·
Registered
2007 CLK550 Cabriolet and 2014 GLK350
19 Posts
Outstanding Tire/Tread Life

I have a 2006 CLK 350 Coupe with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires in recommended size and inflation pressures. I will get about 30,000 miles off this set but the ride is starting to get a little noisy and rough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to know it's not just me going through rear tires about twice as fast as I ever did with any other car. I just got about 15000 with a pair of Falkiens (sp?). Just ordered a pair of Hanooks. I guess it's just the price you have to pay for being able to zip around those curves, LOL.

·
Registered
2009 CLK 550 Cabriolet
2 Posts
Rear tire mileage

Typically, the rear tires on a CLK550 get about 15-18k miles. The 550 has such low end grunt (torque) it eats rear tires. There really no way around it other than to re-map the ECU which moves and broadens the torque band further up the rpm range. It is a much more mellow drive around town but comes much more alive at the higher end of the rpm range with greater horsepower, torque, and better gas mileage.

I have the stock Conti Sportcontact 3.

·
19,441 Posts
Using "Comfort mode" , which starts in 2nd gear can also help save the tires. Really, I think the "premature" wear is more a factor of the suspension than starting torque. I have noticed than when driving very gently on smooth concrete, such as in the mall parking deck, I hear a lot more tire squealing that I do from other cars. I think it just really scrubs the tires in turns.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
49 Posts
Just bought Generals 245 40 17's for the rear on my CLK350. The last General set I just replaced lasted 40k plus miles. They were very reasonably priced and performed well.

·
19,441 Posts
I ran a couple of sets of Generals on my ML They were reasonably priced and handled well, but they became very noisy at about 50% treadwear. But that tire was designed for light-duty off-road driving, so that could be a factor.

·
Registered
W209 CLK500 & W220 S430
320 Posts
Using "Comfort mode" ,
which starts in 2nd gear can also help save the tires.

Really, I think the "premature" wear
is more a factor of the suspension than starting torque.
I have noticed than when driving very gently on smooth concrete,
such as in the mall parking deck,
I hear a lot more tire squealing that I do from other cars.
I think it just really scrubs the tires in turns.
Comfort mode & wider turns . . .

Plus a friendly tire shop ?

4 rears & 2 fronts !

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've come to the conclusion t the answer is to turn the ESP off when it's not needed at low speeds. Unfortunately, when you do that you disable the Cruise Control.

·
19,441 Posts
Turning off ESP does no good - all that does is eliminate the throttle reduction. The ABS system will still be used to slow a slipping wheel. I do turn ESP off when I want to pull out in heavy traffic - there's nothing worse than flooring the V8 for a quick take-off only to have it fall on its nose and nearly get hit by oncoming traffic.

As for tires, the higher performance, the shorter the lifespan. If you can life with a "touring" tire, I recommend the Michelin Primacy. I have about 12K mile son mine and they still have another good 10K left. They aren't super-sticky, but they are comfortable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts