Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the trap oxidizer system on an '85 300D turbo and convert it to the regular exhaust set up and keep the original turbo? I know the intake system is involved as well.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
I cannot say for certain, however my opinion is that it probably wouldn't be worth the tim...

From what I understand, you have to re-do the entire system (if it's possible). I cannot say for certain, however my opinion is that it probably wouldn't be worth the time/money put into it. You may run into problems down the road with non-compatable items, etc. It would probably cost over $1,000 to replace all the necessary parts and labor costs.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I cannot say for certain, however my opinion is that it probably wouldn't be worth the tim

From what I understand, you have to re-do the entire system (if it's possible). I cannot say for certain, however my opinion is that it probably wouldn't be worth the time/money put into it. You may run into problems down the road with non-compatable items, etc. It would probably cost over $1,000 to replace all the necessary parts and labor costs.
I was wanting to pull a little more horsepower out of the little engine. The oxidizer was replaced a few years ago along with the turbo for free by a local dealer. I don't like the idea of emission equipment on a diesel especially those that may have reliability issues as well.
I was thinking about doing all the labor myself since I have quite a bit of mechanical experience but not with diesel Benzes. I picked up the MB service manuals on CD. I always get the factory shop manuals for every car that I own. There's a lot of information in the CD.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Definately pick up the Service manual book, as well. The CD's look good, untill you see th...

Definately pick up the Service manual book, as well. The CD's look good, untill you see the regular service manual. The pictures on the CD are just bad scaned-in copys of the regular manual. And there are certian parts of the manual completely missing on CD. You can get the regular manuals online at Ebay and I think that www.samstagsales.com has them as well. Good luck!

There are ways to tweak the turbodiesel a little. You can adjust certain things. I will have to find out exactly what they so I don't tell you the wrong thing.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got my eye out for the service manuals but until I find one for a resonable price m...

I've got my eye out for the service manuals but until I find one for a resonable price my CD's will have to do.
I'll appreciate whatever you find out for tweaks on the diesel. I don't blame you for not wanting to tell me something that might not work. I wouldn't want to do that to anyone either.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300D
1,249 Posts
Hi there,I'm not sure if this would help - but its my understanding that Mercedes-Be...

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this would help - but its my understanding that Mercedes-Benz has had many problems with the trap oxidizer failing prematurely. When I was still doing 'research' prior to purchasing my '81 300D, I remember seeing articles where people had the trap oxidizer removed - some of which were done under some sort of MB warranty! You might want to look into that, as I'm not sure if your '85 300D Turbo was one of the affected models. I'm thinking it was the SD models, but don't they have the same engine? Here's one article of what a car without the trap oxidizer looks like:

I'll be sure to let you know if I find any of the articles I saw in the past regarding the trap oxidizers...

http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/300sdl871.htm
http://www.meimann.com/images/mercedes/W124_stuff/trap_oxidizer2.pdf

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
The second article looks good - May be easier than I thought! May want to look into that.

The second article looks good - May be easier than I thought! May want to look into that.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oxidation Catalyst

My trap oxidizer was replaced under a Mercedes Benz service campaign in 1997 with a device called an "oxidation catalyst". Evidently according to M-B this device no longer needs to be changed at 30000 mile intervals as previously required. Apparently according to M-B this "technical upgrade" was covered under an "unlimited mile" extended warranty for owners of some 1985, 1986 & 1987 cars with the trap oxidizer. This "technical upgrade" was available free of charge from M-B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.