Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
sarti
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am considering purchasing a car in New York and driving it home to Detroit which would require me to drive it across Ontario for the return trip home. Has anyone ever made ever done this? I am concerned about not having a plate on the car for the drive home, in Mi. you can legally drive the car home with a signed title in hand and a receipt of payment of some kind. Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
How about asking your insurance agent? Liability ins. is what you need, then maybe a plate of somekind. Here in Canada we can do a short-term permit without a plate...

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
Laws are always Local

Hello all, I am considering purchasing a car in New York and driving it home to Detroit which would require me to drive it across Ontario for the return trip home. Has anyone ever made ever done this? I am concerned about not having a plate on the car for the drive home, in Mi. you can legally drive the car home with a signed title in hand and a receipt of payment of some kind. Any input will be appreciated.
It's where you are driving, ( when your pulled over...:)

The local law will apply, not your home state law...

NY state law says all motorised vehicles must be registored, a bill of sale isn't the same as a MI registration.

I would never cross the international border without a plate, if you don't get stopped leaving, you'll surely get stopped trying to get back in.. You will be looked at like a smuggler.

Don't do it!!

I bought two cars from CA & had them shipped to NJ. I drove them home (unregistered) to my home in NYS. I took a chance I wouldn't be stopped because all CA cars keep their plates when sold.

My insurance covered the cars, but they were technically unregestered, and if stopped I would have been ticketed for operating an unregistered vehicle.

I would registor the car and bring plates with you, thats the only way you'll make it into canada and back.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL ... and way too many Lincolns
530 Posts
If you are worried, just scoot though on the southern side and avoid Canada .. only adds another extra 40 mins. or so

1 - 4 of 4 Posts