Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transport of New MBs in the US

753 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  seb345 
#1 ·
I'm expecting my car from Bremen, Germany in less than 3 months - hopefully.
I was curious as to how they are shipped once they come off the ship.

Why do I have a little bug in my head telling me that they are put in special enclosed car carriers with side curtains for better access to the vehicles ??
Like this...

Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Transport

See less See more
#2 ·
New (and used) high end vehicles are always transported enclosed. In the US side curtains are not very common, they basically drive the car in the enclosure and raise it if necessary. Side curtains are more common in Europe. Only a few specialized carriers get contracted for this type of transportation. Regular cars is everybody, John, Igor, Ahmed, Mobutu, ***********, Pablo. Enclosed high end car hauling isn't for everyone. Your car will be safe

#4 · (Edited)
Wait! Maybe I misunderstood. I thought it's a new car. Then I remembered. Are you in the military and been stationed in Germany and having your vehicle transported back to the states? In that case, as far as I know, the military subcontracts that to civilians. In that case your car will be offered to the lowest bidder. Any kind of car hauler open or enclosed will take it. God help you then, John, Igor, Ahmed, Mobutu, ***********, Pablo really don't give a damn about your car. Call em and find out if it's enclosed or not

#12 ·
I think enclosed transport, costing in thousands is applying to exotic cars only.
I do see new cars on open trailers, what is quite easy to recognize especially on Audis, who come with factory wrap for transport.
I did work in equipement transport and my observation is that most of damages are done by dropping a chain during securing job, or loose belt will slap the car paint job when on the road.
So enclosed transport is not that much to advantage and most shipping companies will give you an option to request top loading.
Good luck on your delivery.
Been to Germany years ago and US presence there is clearly visible by huge suburban signs saying "GIRLS" .
Did you have a chance to see some other countries?

#13 ·
I think enclosed transport, costing in thousands is applying to exotic cars only.
I do see new cars on open trailers, what is quite easy to recognize especially on Audis, who come with factory wrap for transport.
I did work in equipement transport and my observation is that most of damages are done by dropping a chain during securing job, or loose belt will slap the car paint job when on the road.
So enclosed transport is not that much to advantage and most shipping companies will give you an option to request top loading.
Good luck on your delivery.
Been to Germany years ago and US presence there is clearly visible by huge suburban signs saying "GIRLS" .
Did you have a chance to see some other countries?
Yes, factory wrap is seen on many transported vehicles. Good stuff. I sure Benz doesn't fool around with shoddy transport.
Girls ? in Germany - I still like girls at the age of 68...:-} I have not been to any other countries yet. But I have been to Alaska which is an INCREDIBLE experience.

Thanks for your reply,
Ron

#15 · (Edited)
Yeah I prefer the closed shipment to an open double-deck one. I've had the pleasure of shipping my car in the past both ways and closed shipment always feels safer. I have been using this one company for the past few years, called A1A and I have been really pleased with the way they work. I found them online when I was looking for a good, car transportation company. They seemed like a good fit since they are not that expensive (compared to the others) and the staff is really nice and supportive. You should try them if you want a good experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.