Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 E350 with 26,000 miles, on occasion won't shift out of first gear. I have read previous posts about this issue. It will correct itself if I shut the car off and restart. I took it to a very reputable shop and they can not find any error messages. They are stumped. Any suggestions

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's pretty common if you have a 722.9 Transmission. The control unit needs to be replaced, which is located inside your transmission. The Turbine speed sensor goes bad and you have to replace the whole entire unit. Unfortunately, M-Benz dealership has a monopoly on this part and won't sell it to independent shops. However, they will sell you the whole 722.9 Transmission assembly. I think it's stupid, but apparently there a lawsuit between Seimens (Transmission Control Unit) manufacturer and M-Benz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transmission won't shirt

Thank you for the info. It sounds like it is a trip to the dealer. Any idea as to the cost of replacing the Turbine speed sensor? Also, shouldn't an error message have been displayed when the shop looked to find the problem/ Once again, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Should be less the $800.00 for parts and labor!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had the same problem with the R500, although restarting it always seemed to be the short-term cure. It seemed to be locked in limp mode until I restarted it. The dealer cured it by changing valve body as mentioned above.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ouch! Did your shop check the transmission control unit for any codes? If it's not shifting out, it should most definitely have codes. They need special software to do this, and many shops do not have this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They may very well have, but I'm not sure for sure. As soon as I told them the problem, they diagnosed it and as it was covered by warranty, they remedied it. Good news is that it's been almost six months and I haven't had a single transmission issue. It even shifts smoother than before (2-->1).

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's pretty common if you have a 722.9 Transmission. The control unit needs to be replaced, which is located inside your transmission. The Turbine speed sensor goes bad and you have to replace the whole entire unit. Unfortunately, M-Benz dealership has a monopoly on this part and won't sell it to independent shops. However, they will sell you the whole 722.9 Transmission assembly. I think it's stupid, but apparently there a lawsuit between Seimens (Transmission Control Unit) manufacturer and M-Benz.
Hi Mar,
I know this is outdate thread, I am having the same problem now, do you think MB will replace it for out of warranty vehicles?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts