Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started getting cold (in 30s). My slk wont shift out of first gear after sitting in cold for few hours. I have no problem when outside temp is above 50. It will redline in first gear but wont shift to next gear. I tried winter modem,shifting gears manually and resetting ecu.
I tried checking transmission fluid. Did anyone have similat problem?

·
2,594 Posts
its normal... in very cold conditions it will hold gears for a lot longer so the car can get up to operating temp quicker so the oxygen sensor can get out of open loop mode quicker for emissions reasons...

after its hit operating temp or close to it it will shift normally. only happens when its very cold

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its normal... in very cold conditions it will hold gears for a lot longer so the car can get up to operating temp quicker so the oxygen sensor can get out of open loop mode quicker for emissions reasons...

after its hit operating temp or close to it it will shift normally. only happens when its very cold
I understand that holding gears longer is normal in cold weather. But my car stays in first gear for 20 mins. Is it normal? I cant drive it on highway when it doesnt shift out of first gear.

Car has 52k miles

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
What you are describing is decidedly not normal.

Degraded fluid can do that, have it serviced at a good indy, have them change the electrical adapter plug at the same time. Don't go to the dealer, they no longer have the correct fluid.

Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you are describing is decidedly not normal.

Degraded fluid can do that, have it serviced at a good indy, have them change the electrical adapter plug at the same time. Don't go to the dealer, they no longer have the correct fluid.

Good luck.
No codes, Trans fluid i normal. I did some research and people with similar problem had bad gear recognition switch part number 2105451332. Does slk230 have gear recognition swtich in shifter assembly?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
No codes, Trans fluid i normal. I did some research and people with similar problem had bad gear recognition switch part number 2105451332. Does slk230 have gear recognition swtich in shifter assembly?
Yes. All 722.6xx-equipped vehicles do, which is most of the passenger fleet from 97-03 (with some early adopters and late hangers-on both sides of that range).

If you have never serviced the transmission, it's time, as I indicated above. In all likelihood you simply have degraded fluid. And if you're doing that work, you change the $15 adapter/connector to prevent leaks and fluid incursion to the TCM.

Now, if you would rather start swapping parts, there are lots of things you can change. But if the gear selector was bad, it would give you various problems all the time or at irregular intervals, not just when cold and not just with first gear.

If I owned your car, I would replace the fluid and filter, change the adapter/connector and replace the pressure regulator springs just as a preventative. You're at the mileage where that should be done anyway, regardless of the symptoms your car is experiencing.

There is lots of useful information in the excellent 722.6xx FAQ thread, which you can find in the W210 help/diy stickies. Even if you don't want to DIY this basic procedure, you will learn a lot by reading through it and checking out some of the links therein.

Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. All 722.6xx-equipped vehicles do, which is most of the passenger fleet from 97-03 (with some early adopters and late hangers-on both sides of that range).

If you have never serviced the transmission, it's time, as I indicated above. In all likelihood you simply have degraded fluid. And if you're doing that work, you change the $15 adapter/connector to prevent leaks and fluid incursion to the TCM.

Now, if you would rather start swapping parts, there are lots of things you can change. But if the gear selector was bad, it would give you various problems all the time or at irregular intervals, not just when cold and not just with first gear.

If I owned your car, I would replace the fluid and filter, change the adapter/connector and replace the pressure regulator springs just as a preventative. You're at the mileage where that should be done anyway, regardless of the symptoms your car is experiencing.

There is lots of useful information in the excellent 722.6xx FAQ thread, which you can find in the W210 help/diy stickies. Even if you don't want to DIY this basic procedure, you will learn a lot by reading through it and checking out some of the links therein.

Good luck.
This was very helpful. I recently changed tranny fluid. Gear indicator lights dont come up when i switch gear to D. So i am suspecting gear recognition switch. Its common problem in w120. Does a gear recognition switch from w120 fit in slk230?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had the same problem with my slk32 amg. If you shut the car off and then re-start it, all seems ok. Haven't had a chance to get it checked yet but I know it is something I will have to address soon. Does this sound like the same problem?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had the same problem with my slk32 amg. If you shut the car off and then re-start it, all seems ok. Haven't had a chance to get it checked yet but I know it is something I will have to address soon. Does this sound like the same problem?
My slk doesnt shift gears for 15 mins. restarting doesnt work. how did you resolve your problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts