Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1982 240d
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I desperately need advice before I decide to ditch the car after only owning it 2 weeks:( or invest a lot of money in a new trans.

I bought my '82 240d two weeks ago. When I bought it and up to a week ago, it would only shift out of 2nd when I let up off the throttle. I didn't think it was a massive problem so I bought it. I had it in the shop to get that problem and a few other things checked out. My mechanic checked the vacuum and said that it was fine and that my problem was that I needed a new transmission due to internal problems. At that time he did replace the vacuum line going to the trans. because whoever put the used/rebuilt transmission that's in there used the wrong size vacuum tube. This didn't seem to make a difference, though.

After I picked it up from the shop, I went on a 5 mile or so drive, came home, then went out an hour later. I got 3 blocks from my house and it started slipping/bucking and wouldn't shift out of 2nd (I think...it could have been first). The next day I drove it to a recommended transmission shop 2 miles away and it worked fine all the way there and when the mechanic drove it. But on the way home, a block from my house, it started slipping and I limped home again.

Again today, I drove it when cold and it worked for a mile or two, then started slipping. By the way, reverse always works fine.

Does it sound like my transmission is totally shot? Does anyone have an idea about why it only slips when it's warm?

Any help or advice is extremely appreciated!! The car is really nice other than the fact that I can't drive it!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I hate for you to throw it away as much as you would hate to throw it away. Check the level of ATF first. Check that the transmission is properly adjusted. These run off of vacuum unlike other cars so it might be hard to diagnose. My transmission shifts hard before and when my uncle mentioned it to the shop they said it's normal. I adjusted the bowden cable and it's smoother now. So go to the Online Tech Thread, there's a site there "mercedesdismantlers" or something. It has info on transmissions and now to properly adjust them.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
try unplugging the kickdown switch behind the accelerator pedal.

(this is my new mantra for tranny shift problems ..)
[:)]

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
I got the deal of my life when my '83 240D was for sale.
Same trans prob. Stayed on this forum for 2 weeks to look for every description of solution I could find.
Here's the listof what I did:
On top of the vavle cover there are 2 white ( or yellowish with age) switchover valves. All of the spagetti of vacuum hoses run around them. Facing the engine compartment, the left side is for the EGR valve.
Wisdom from the forum said follow the blue vacuum (I think it's blue) line to the thrmo valve( that's blue and opens and closes from the heat it senses.Line runs to an EGR relay or some such then back to the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold. Sounds complicated but here's the good part. They said disconnect the whole thing and plug it up with a bb or golf tee. So now the left swich over valve is inoperable and the right 1 I replaced. Leaked like crazy.The plastic cam that it rode up against had worn away the lever that depressed the pin valve that "switched" the vacuum from 1 line to another. Some well intentioned soul played with the lines so I had to try to figure out which were where they belonged and which weren't. By eliminating the EGR side things were a bit easier. The black rubber elbow as well as lines can crack and if you don't have probs till the car warms up I'd suspect all of them. Pull 1 at a time, spray them or clean somehow and test. Common advice was: trans fulid change, run for 40 or 50 miles, change fulid and filter. The vacuum is proportionate to the accelerator position. Meaning,
no pedal- full vacuum. Half pedal ( approx) half vacuum.Full pedal NO VACUUM. I don't know diddly about trans hydraulics and don't own a vacuum gauge but this sucker went form stuck in low to tickling my butt every time I drive her. BTW I'll post links to vac diagram for 240D. Accurate diagrams are like hens teeth.
Don't give up!

·
Registered
1983 240D auto..soon to run a generator in the country.1984 300D turbo 4 spd
149 Posts
I think these links point in the right direction. The last 2 helped me the most.

http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/diesel_vacuum_system
http://users.vnet.net/w123d/w123d/transmission.htm
http://www.peterschmid.com/vacuum.htm
http://www.peterschmid.com/vacuum/1977_1985/616_617_91/616_617_91.jpg

·
Registered
1982 240d
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much everyone! I'll get to it, see what I can find out, and hope for the best. I don't want to give up on it yet.

By the way, I did notice when I connected the vacuum gauge to the line that goes to the tranmission modulator, that instead of no vacuum at full throttle the gauge was fluttering around rapidly around 5-10?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts