Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 W123 200 M102
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had a 83" 200 petrol with a manual/stick shift. Right now Im having a mild whine unless I engage clutch. Im hearing them at stationary, Im not sure when the car is moving since its a mild whine. Anyone have experience such before could give me some advise? I believe the 4 speed manual box is same or very similar across the w123 models, thank you.

P/S: My differential definitely whines which I will be replacing very soon, not sure if they were related, they are too far to be related? It sounds like its coming from the front, car has 450k km/280k miles on it.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,659 Posts
Without knowing the maintenance history, they first thing to do is replace the transmission oil and fill to correct level. If the noise is unchanged, consider the pilot bearing, which can be replaced when you do the clutch.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,222 Posts
Does the transmission wine disappear in 4th gear? If so, the wear is coming from the main shaft centre bearing. If not, It may be from any or all bearings.

Having taken apart, reassembled and nearly destroyed my transmission several times, the very best advice I can give to you is this: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Look at the mileage on your car. If the gearbox breaks, do something about that; until then leave well be.

·
Registered
1983 W123 200 M102
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without knowing the maintenance history, they first thing to do is replace the transmission oil and fill to correct level. If the noise is unchanged, consider the pilot bearing, which can be replaced when you do the clutch.
The transmission oil has been replaced earlier this year, the whine is still present, after reading up about the pilot bearing, Im think Im sold, its the pilot bearing. Is pilot bearing happen to be input shaft bearing? Part #92?

·
Registered
1983 W123 200 M102
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the transmission wine disappear in 4th gear? If so, the wear is coming from the main shaft centre bearing. If not, It may be from any or all bearings.

Having taken apart, reassembled and nearly destroyed my transmission several times, the very best advice I can give to you is this: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Look at the mileage on your car. If the gearbox breaks, do something about that; until then leave well be.
I could not tell as the whine is mild, I can only hear them is when the idle and foot off the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,222 Posts
Yes, it is. Cheap enough to buy, you have little to lose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The noise is the bearings rolling and/or the throwout bearing rattling on the shaft.
Don't mess with it for a mild noise like that.

·
Registered
1984 300TD
118 Posts
for the 716.210 4 speed manual the rear bearing on the counter shaft is small, the MB repair procedure says pay special attention to it during assembly. I know my 4 speed has been quite noisy under a certain amount of load and at certain speed. They may wear out because they are so small.

·
Premium Member
1977 6.9, 1976 W115 240D, w123 300D turbo
43 Posts
The transmission oil has been replaced earlier this year, the whine is still present, after reading up about the pilot bearing, Im think Im sold, its the pilot bearing. Is pilot bearing happen to be input shaft bearing? Part #92?

View attachment 2620932
If the whining goes away with the clutch engaged it is definitely not the pilot bearing. There is no relative motion between the transmission input shaft and the engine without engaging the clutch. There are 8 (I think) bearings in the transmission and there is no chance to identify the problem with the transmission in the car. If the stationary car whines in neutral with the clutch not depressed, something in the transmission is making the noise which leaves a choice. It will not get better. Leave it until its obvious and rebuild the transmission when it's absolutely necessary or rebuild the transmission now. There's little risk in waiting as if it's noisy now the damage is done. If you're changing the diff anyway, rebuild the trans at the same time while the drive shaft is out.

I've rebuilt a few of the cast iron 4 spds and a newly rebuilt transmission is very satisfying, worth the effort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts