Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very small leak in my transmission. About 1 drop of oil per 50 miles. Not much but I don't like it.

The oil appears to be coming from what looks to be a screw cover of sorts. See attached photo. It's right by the 2 oil cooler lines attaching to the transmission (there are actually 2 of these, one on each side of the line attachments).

Loren

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Transmission - What is this?

Simply put, a transmission allows power to be sent from a power source, most often an engine or motor, to a drive mechanism. Transmissions use gears and a clutch to convert the speed of the power source into torque. A simpler transmission is often referred to as a gearbox since it is basically a box containing a configuration of gears.
The most common example of a transmission is that found in an automobile. There are two types of automobile transmissions, manual and automatic. Both accomplish the same function in turning engine speed or revolutions per minute (rpm) into torque (measured in pounds/feet). They also allow the drive mechanism to shift from forward into reverse without the need to shut off one engine and reverse the direction of the crankcase with a second engine running in the opposite direction. <a href="http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-transmission.htm#il">view source</a>

sorry i could not help myself

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
If it would help I have the trans from my '72 sitting out in the barn and I can remove one and see if there is anything above it that will drop out if you pull it. I can look in the morning. Looks like you will get a face full of fluid if you remove it.

On another note, man that is clean under there!!!:thumbsup:

Jim

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, rowdie

It just looks like a plug, but on the other hand it could be some sort of adjustment screw.

Just started the undercarriage cleanup. Should be done by next winter. She's going to be one clean car when done.

Loren

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,594 Posts
The underside of my engine looks like that but I got in a hurry and just hooked up the old tranny. Oh well, she is just a driver if I ever solve the vacuum problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
im not to sure here but get a workshop manual and ore talk to your machanic about the issue then you take a big nice sort of screwdriver to drive out the bolt and clean it up aply some thread sealing and fast like hell back to its possition .

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, suupercharger6.9

That's exactly what my mechanic will be doing. They did a recent seal replacement on the transmission, but missed this and will be fixing it at no charge.

Loren

1 - 12 of 12 Posts