Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to give a heads up to everyone out there, letting you know my problem and the fix.

I took a 200 mile+ trip the other week, and on when I arrived home, I noticed a significant vibration when at a complete stop, but only in Park. If I shifted to Neutral, it was smooth as silk again. The car still seemed to shift properly, and at speed; smooth. Something else I noticed, was that when getting on the gas around 30 mph or so, there was a hollow exhaust sound that sounded like it was coming from the front of the car. It was very subtle, but it was there.

Well, off to the tranny shop to have this checked out. (and already kissing $6gs goodbye) I was hoping it was only the torque converter. Turns out that one of my transmission mounts had completely snapped off. They're cast aluminum, and after 100K + miles, mine was tired and snapped. This caused the entire driveline to go out of alignment, blowing out the liquid filled motor mounts as well. I think I only felt the vibration at rest, because underway, the engine torque, shifted the engine into a more correct alignment. When it settled at stop, it was more out of line. (that's my own stupid theory, but makes a touch of sense).

I had all the mounts replaced (2 sheared bolts in the tranny too), had the tranny serviced (lifetime fluid my a$$), and my car is it's old self again. Back to smooth as silk.

If I had let this go, I could have encountered a MUCH bigger problem, so if you find yourself in a similar situation, get it to the shop (or do it yourself).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
where did you take it? jacksonville isnt too far and i havent been able to find a dealer to change my trans fluid yet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not, Cottman transmission found the problem and fixed it. I asked around and did some web research, and decided to go with them. Seems with a tranny, the dealer simply orders a rebuild and installs it. I prefer someone who will work on it, not just a part swapper. They nailed the real problem and had no problem doing the mount work. Wasn't super cheap, It was cheaper than Brumos (dealer).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Mind if I ask what they charged for the trans service? Did they do a complete fluid exchange? Stealership quoted me a grand for the service, I laughed and hung up

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not at all. Svc was about 240. They did the filter and (proper) fluid. Said they had to flush it a LOT. Car has 140 on it. They even called me the next week, and asked me to stop by for a quick visual inspection. Granted it wasn't the Brumos boutique, but for the 750 I saved, I could buy my own fancy coffee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts