Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
W124
4,839 Posts
The real answer is that many parts suppliers use every listing as click bait. They want you to buy from them as often as possible. That starts by appearing to stock everything you need. As far as NLA is concerned, there are two sources for Genuine Mercedes parts, Mercedes Benz and dealership stock rooms. When I needed a catalytic converter for one of my W210s MBNA told me they were NLA worldwide. The parts guys at Rallye motors picked up one from a dealer in Rhode Island who had a few in stock.

In many cases, although a part is NLA from Mercedes, dealer stock transfers can keep part availability alive until the mothership's supplier provides the part again. Sadly, this used to happen much more often than it does today. Under Dieter Zetsche's reign, the company gradually stepped away from supporting their cars for the long term.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320 wagons (2)
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
LeftCoastGeek, thank you for explaining the process in your last post.

I am still exploring my options in regards to the transmission tunnel replacement.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, from what I gathered so far in locating the transmission tunnel part number 124 610 06 71, it seems NLA is everywhere. Unless someone out there knows for sure the part is available for sale, I am not looking forward to go to a junk yard that have compatible models that carries this transmission tunnel part (available) if it comes to that. Anyone out there have better ideas? I really would like to have the total transmission tunnel part as describe in the diagram above and not some cut up pieces to modify on the undercarriage.

·
Registered
W124
4,839 Posts
FWIW, the transmission tunnel isn't a spectacularly stressed member of the chassis. Cutting in one small section will not hurt the integrity of the car. Bear in mind there are cars out there worth millions of dollars and that are raced to within an inch of their capability, and the floorpans, body, chassis, etc, have, in many cases, had bad spots cut out and replacements welded back in. Its really not a concern.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
tuttebenne, thank you for your last post. Interesting comments. I am still researching on this transmission tunnel part. I believed I found one and already made contact with the junk yard full of Mercedes. According to the website, it says they pick up the part and have it shipped free (ground). I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one! Will follow up since it is closed today Saturday and Sunday. Probably will receive a response by Monday. Stay tune.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update:

The problem is this transmission tunnel removal requires a lot of parts to be set aside to gain access to the transmission tunnel. In fact, the mbz parts website gave me some excellent pointers. Here is her response:

I would try searching Car-Part.com and ask if anyone has a W124 shell.
That's the key. We have two W124 cars but they have all their interior
parts still in them, so you want to find someone who has already stripped
the interiors out and can inspect the transmission tunnel without having to
pull seats and carpeting and the console.

This is where I am right now. So far, I tried this car-parts.com and I am still not sure what category to use to find this transmission tunnel part. So I used transmission category and contact through live chat and sending emails. Some replied and others did not. All said the same thing , meaning they don't have a w124 shell by itself and/or not willing to remove parts to gain access to the transmission tunnel.

I think the bottom line is this: Unless I get a w124 shell access alone by itself/transmission tunnel, I would probably have to go to pull a part junk yard. That means having pull seats, carpeting and console to gain access to the transmission tunnel. After that, I probably have to use a lithium battery powered 5" angle grinder with a couple cutoff disks based on previous posts in this thread.

I am trying to avoid going to a junk yard that is 60 miles away from home.

Any comments, feedback/advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
660 Posts
If you spend the required time stripping your own interior parts and carpet and console etc you will see what is required of you when you get to the junk yard. And also you will be clued up as to what tools you would need to take.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,903 Posts
If I may be a morbid voice of reason....
Start looking for another wagon. Can your other car be made road worthy with little work? If so, drive that while you find another. In the meantime you can either sell retail, part out and have spares for the next one, or just find a # in Craig's list and have it taken away and clear a couple hundred bucks. If you are paying someone to do the work and don't care about being wayyy upside down then keep and fix. Keep in mind that after several thousand to fix flex bomb damage,( is there any trans /tail shaft damage?) you still have a car with many expensive potential repairs waiting in the wings and the outside world doesn't think they are worth more than a few grand.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,985 Posts
If you spend the required time stripping your own interior parts and carpet and console etc you will see what is required of you when you get to the junk yard. And also you will be clued up as to what tools you would need to take.
+1 on that. further, you'd know how much of the donor car's tunnel to cut to cover the damage on yours.

·
Registered
W124
4,839 Posts
If I may be a morbid voice of reason....
Start looking for another wagon. Can your other car be made road worthy with little work? If so, drive that while you find another. In the meantime you can either sell retail, part out and have spares for the next one, or just find a # in Craig's list and have it taken away and clear a couple hundred bucks. If you are paying someone to do the work and don't care about being wayyy upside down then keep and fix. Keep in mind that after several thousand to fix flex bomb damage,( is there any trans /tail shaft damage?) you still have a car with many expensive potential repairs waiting in the wings and the outside world doesn't think they are worth more than a few grand.
^What he said!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hirmbeis, LeftCoastGeek, humblejoe, and boydwaugh, thank you all for the latest posts.

Hirmbeis, about asking for pictures, I have not taken up to date pictures.

I am still researching/exploring on this part. Stay tune.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts