Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 98' 320. Every day in the morning, when I first drive the car the transmission doesn't shift properly until the car is either warm or I have gone through all the gears (slowly). Meaning, if I punch the accelerator, the engine will rev-up but will not catch the next gear unless I let-up on the accelerator. But after I get through all the gears once, the problem goes away and does not come back until the car becomes completely cold again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance -John

·
Registered
1998 CLK320
89 Posts
had similar problem

i have a 98 clk320. Same engine and tranny. It was the first year of the 722.6 tranny i believe so it had a few probs as shown in my alldata tsbs. When i did a tranny fluid change at 85k, valve body broke, so I replaced it and it makes a world of difference. Car shifts smoothly through all gears and adapts much faster to driving styles.

Also, before I changed valve body I noticed when the car was cold it would jerk hard shifting out of first.

·
Registered
1998 CLK320
89 Posts
i own shops

since i own repair shops, I get a discount, but I do believe valve bodies are vin specific and cannot be ordered anywhere else but the dealer. Anyway, I get a 15% discount from dealers so the vavle body would run you somewhere in the 600-700 range and new transmission fluid should be around 9 a quart from dealer. New filter and gasket shouldnt cost much at all.

I think the whole job totaled up to about 650 in parts and fluid plus an applicable labor, which at most, is honestly only 3 hours although a shop will charge you more and tell you what a big job the valve body is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excuse my ignorance...but....

What is a valve body exactly? And where is it located? And is it something I can install myself? Thanks

·
Registered
1998 CLK320
89 Posts
basically....

a valve body guides fluid to the right places and controls shifting of gears. Located right on top of tranny oil pan. You are better off taking it to a shop as even the slightest error can result in a big transmission failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts