Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300sd turbo diesel (California version)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the belts snapped on the old Benz and with some bad luck it severed the transmission line that goes to the radiator. I was cruising down the freeway so I reckon 3 miles passed before the tranny started slipping. The mechanic I took it to repaired the line and refilled the tranny fluid and said the transmission was probably damaged.

The tranny is now slipping...mainly up to 20mph then seems okay.

Is the tranny toast? Is there hopefully a not too expensive fix or is it time for a new transmission? i am a little frightened at what a new transmission and related labour may cost.

·
Registered
1983 300SD 240K miles
7 Posts
Same thing happened to me with the belt cutting the tranny hoses. Had just revived my '83 300SD from several years of idle, and didn't realize hoses and belts were dry rotted. Similarly, lost fluid on I-75, but realized it after exiting, so not sure how many miles passed. This is what I did, and it may or may not work for you. Bought new belts, scavanged hoses off of my other '83 300SD (one is never enough), drained what very little fluid was left, pulled the pan and replaced filter, and filled her back up with Dexron III compatible fluid. Then I drove her to work and back, a 90 mile round trip, every day for the last three years. I may have gotten lucky, but you oughta try that before rebuilding a transmission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts