Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
’93 2.3 with 81k miles
Does anyone have experience with the transmission not engaging? My 201 runs fantastic and shifts great (except right after startup-shifts late to warm up the engine) but twice over the weekend it did not engage properly in D. Shifted into reverse no problem, then would not engage in drive; after shifting into park and back it drove just fine. The tranny was serviced 30Kmi ago and is due for a fluid/filter change but I doubt this could be the cause.

Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
If a shop is doing the trans oil and filter, I,d get them to check the shift linkage and possible motor or trans mounts. Maybe there's something simple not letting it enguage in drive sometimes. My 93 2.3 shifts late like yours when cold and is normal. At 155,000 miles my trans fluid has always come out looking brand new and at 120,000 miles when I pulled the pan off it was spotless. At this point I would not add a bottle of " trans fix in a can". Just go with a oil and filter change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much. Ill do the service myslelf and check out the linkage and mount, Ive been meaning to check the flex plates and the subframe mounts as well since the car is starting to do the classic "clunk" once in a while.

By the way, is it possible to turn off whatever mechanism forces the tranny to shift at higher RPM when the engine is cold?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts