Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 SL500 - This has happened twice now to me within a week. When normally accelerating from a light, the car, after working fine the first part of the drive, will remain in first and not be able to go over 3,000 rpm or so regardless how hard you depress the accelerator. Literally need to coast to the side of the road. I then place the car into N and then the car wont shift out of N even after moving the shifter back to D. I place it in P, turn the car off and back on and all works well again! Obviously a recurring issue and will get it checked out but wanted to hear if anyone else had these symptoms?!? BTW--No warnings are displayed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the problem is...

The valve body assembly in the transmission needs to be replaced. To the tune of $1900.00! Ouch...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine started running like a dog. 70000

Went to an indie with tales of broke transmissions new valve bodies new gearbox ££££££

He said it'll just need a new filter and oil

Result... Fixed and runs awesome an cruising fuel economy had jumped up astronomically

Advise .... dont seek a diagnosis off the internet

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
OP - twice in a week? you thinking problem gonna fix itself?

If me, I would have gone straight into the shop the first time it happened, be that a dealer or an Indy. Don't put it off or ignore it and keep driving the car - otherwise you will likely end up with damage to the trans to which could have possibly been avoided.

Advise .... don't seek a diagnosis off the internet
M600kaf; Good point, requires professional hands on evaluation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts